Defold adds support for Nintendo Switch

Since the cat has been out of the water for a while, yes, Interrogation is coming to Switch, and rather soon for that matter. We’re not ready to announce the release date yet, but it’s not a secret that we wanted to release on Switch for a while.

From the technical PoV, I can tell you that the entire process is quite seamless. Congrats to @Mathias_Westerdahl and the rest of the Defold team for their hard work getting that to happen. There is a bit of config required (not much, just the regular metadata like all the other platforms), but otherwise you just build your game with the custom bob.jar, then install it on your dev kit. You don’t even need to have Nintendo’s SDK installed on your machine, as bob.jar and the build servers handles all of that for you (the same way it works for bundling for other Defold-supported platforms).

As for integrating with the Switch’s peculiarities, there are some common APIs already exposed to Lua, but it’s also very easy to write anything extra that you need into a Native Extension (yes, those work as well). (btw, I already ported the FMOD extension for Switch, if anybody is using it for their games, just ask and I’ll give you access once I verify you as Nintendo-approved).

If you’re a Switch-approved dev, expect a post from me on the Switch sub-forum detailing our experience with the process end-to-end.

14 Likes

And let me also thank @dapetcu21 in return, for patiently testing our builds throughout the process, and pinpointing the issues relevant to making this a Defold experience. :heart:

11 Likes

Tears of Joy!

5 Likes

Can you develop for the Switch from a Mac? Or does it need to be Windows?

4 Likes

I don’t think I can answer that without breaking the NDA.

4 Likes

You could, but then you’d have to kill him.

4 Likes

Ahah fair enough guys. I have already used 8 our my 9 cat lives, so I’ll keep this one :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes