Now you can perform bob tasks using editor scripts. Some examples:

1. Print help in the console:
    editor.bob({help = true})

2. Bundle the game for the host platform:
    local opts = {
        archive = true,
        platform = editor.platform
    }
    editor.bob(opts, "distclean", "resolve", "build", "bundle")

3. Use a custom build server and extra settings files for overriding game.project settings:
    local opts = {
        archive = true,
        platform = editor.platform,
        build_server = "https://build.my-company.com",
        settings = {"test.ini", "headless.ini"}
    }
    editor.bob(opts, "distclean", "resolve", "build")

10 Likes

The beta has been updated with a fix for this.

5 Likes

Totally unrelated question, but how did you get your profiler to be transparent? I tried fiddling with the blend modes, but couldn’t get it to change. (Sorry for the derail.)

Bug in profiler. You need to enable blend in the end of render script.

2 Likes

There’s a fix on the way for this as well

2 Likes

Defos not working in 1.9.4
I see strange error in console.
ERROR:DEFOS: Error while subclassing current window: 1400

1 Like

I used a 3D model kit from Kay Lousberg to test the instancing a little bit for myself.
Here’s the quick test project.
It’s missing some nice-to-haves like camera control and shadows etc.
But perhaps you can get inspired and modify it (or make your own example) and share with the others!

Halloween.zip (6.0 MB)

10 Likes

@jhonny.goransson setting custom instance data in runtime is not supported yet, yes? I have dozens of animated characters on scene, with baked animation via VAT, but without setting custom instance data there is no way to use instancing for these models.

1 Like

Plus, I faced the error Unable to add vertex stream 'position', stream declaration has no slots left (max: 8) so filled the request - Allow more than 8 vertex / instancing stream slots · Issue #9547 · defold/defold · GitHub

1 Like

There seems to be something wrong with the rendering of the Spine NE. I can see the model in the editor. Not in runtime.

Spine NE ver: 3.5.1

4 Likes

Does it work in 1.9.3?

1 Like

yes.

5 Likes

I think both options look okay. I suppose it doesn’t really matter either way. :slight_smile:

There’s a fix on the way for this issue.

4 Likes

This has been fixed in dev :+1:

4 Likes

Model instancing is really nice! :slight_smile:

Wanted to share a couple observations I noted while testing. When having hundreds of models in a collection the editor performance can start to bog down a bit. I think this is mostly due to the materials / shaders that I had applied. I think it may be important for larger projects to be able to disable full material rendering in the editor and maybe have options like wire or solid type of basic shading that can serve as an alternative to render models & meshes in the editor.

Bounding boxes for models/meshes can also get a bit overly drawn and turning off visibility filters didn’t help so I used the “show/hide objects” option to try and clear up some view and noticed that the models materials/textures/shading are drawn anyway even when hidden. completely hiding objects from the scene view would be nice as well as option to disable bounding boxes themselves.

So far model instancing is looking great and can’t wait to spend some more time trying out other tests with it.

3 Likes

2024-10-08_15-22-07

According to the video here world space material is used to support animation ( calculated on CPU), i.e. instancing is not valid for this case now. We need for GPU based skinning.

5 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out, I will switch it over. :man_facepalming:

*edit I had made a change to worldspace while testing, much to early to make videos :grimacing: anyway of course the performance is very good with gpu based skinning.

2 Likes

Yes it’s the next logical feature, and somewhat already implemented in a branch.

8 Likes

The spine plugin has been updated with a full rebuild of all the 1.9.4 libraries, could you try again with https://github.com/defold/extension-spine/tree/3.5.2?

6 Likes