Defold 1.8.0 Beta

DO you have anymore info from your build/x86_64-linux/log.txt?

log.txt (62.1 KB)

It works for my colleague, but I restarted the computer (hence the Editor) today and then it stopped working on my machine :sweat_smile:

@1.7.1
There is no ./build/x86_64-linux folder, only ./build/default

That also sounds strange, as thatā€™s where the build log ends up, and you are building your project with extensions/appmanifest, otherwise you would not get that log output?

@1.7.1
log_gl_171.txt (1.5 KB)
no folder for vulkan

Thatā€™s for a default new desktop project, without appmanifest

PS
When building with bob.jar (1.7.0) there is a log
log.txt (3.3 KB)

PPS
bob.jar (1.7.1)
log_gl.txt (1.5 KB)
log_vulkan.txt (3.3 KB)

It seems we havenā€™t supported Vulkan on Linux before, but weā€™ll start with enabling it in this beta, and see how well it works for you. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

The same is happening in beta (3b77500690c25519ab377e1a158a17fc35dba53f)

Is it possible that the graphics drivers has updated?
Since you were already using the Defold alpha version, thatā€™s the same version as the beta. At least when it comes to Vulkan support).

Maybe, but I installed newest update to graphics card driver and it works now! :wink:

Is the Vulkan backend implemented in such a way that thereā€™s measurable improvements for your average Defold games? Any benchmarks that the team has.

Currently, Iā€™d say the main difference is that we can support devices that donā€™t have OpenGL support (some Androids, Nintendo Switch)

OpenGL is still performant, itā€™s just that not as many platforms will support it in the future. Android and iOS supports it for a bit longer, as well as HTML5.

Currently, our graphics backend has an OpenGL-like api, which limits us in what we can do in any case. In the future, we can upgrade our own api it to a more modern approach, and let us benefit more from the modern ways of structuring data, states and draw calls.

4 Likes

Is this fix is already in beta?

Engine 3964ada6b3fce0a219394b048b2466858bc19de9

2 Likes

Ohh you make a lot of changes in html template.

You move all resize logic from engine_template.html to dmloader.js

Please, return that logic in engine_template.html
In ā€œengine_template.htmlā€ it is easy to customize that logic.
But in dmloader it is hard(

1 Like

Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? Or perhaps you have a small repro case we can look at?

I think itā€™s hard to tell from your image what is wrong.
What is the size of the your image?

Just updated(a few minutes ago) to 1.7.1 (2dfb152) and I got this error, any idea why? (I cleaned up the ā€˜.internalā€™ and ā€˜buildā€™ folders)
Building works with newly created empty projects but fails on my project. I guess I messed up something but error message is not very helpful or am I missing something?

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 11.53.41

EDIT: Oh shit, sorry; there is a white space at the end of the https://build-stage.defold.com/_ ā€¦ But still I dont understand why it works before this release :grinning: It would be nice to trim white spaces before and afterā€¦

2 Likes

Not sure what changed with the validation, perhaps @vlaaad knows?

Hello, sorry that I failed to set an image of the correct way it should look. The original is just a stretched version of the block in red. The slice9 image in this pic is working but only because one of the sides is a none zero number initially. if L, T, R, B all = 0, the change does not happen.

Iā€™ve been getting really weird jumps on a character controlled via code. Almost like DT fluctuates to weird values. This is on a M1 Pro macbook pro.
Havenā€™t had time to investigate yet but thatā€™s the feeling I got. Anyone else?

Do you use fixed_update()? Itā€™s what I use and have not noticed anything yet.

Iā€™ve had to pause my evaluation of the beta as one of our spine anims now causes the editor to crash at startup
EDIT: Iā€™ve forked from 2.14.5 and cherry-picked the gui euler change for Defold 1.8.0