Defold 1.4.1 BETA

How do you mean “refused to work on in the past.” ? :thinking:

By “refused to work on”, I just mean:

• Github issues (often feature requests) that are closed without resolution.
  • Forum bug reports or feature requests that have not been fixed or added to the core engine or an officially-supported extension.
  • Any feature request where the user is directed to use an existing, less-than-desirable workaround instead.
  • Any request or issue that has never been prioritized (never had plans made or code written for it).
  • Arguably, any unresolved issue that is more than two or three years old.

In general, I mean anytime someone reports a problem or requests a feature, and it does not get fixed or added to the core engine or an officially-supported extension, and won’t be in the forseeable future. The kind of thing that happens multiple times every week.

Obviously this is often a good thing. Not everything can or should be added.

2 Likes

Also a note, that a lot of issues might be already outdated or actually even fixed/delivered - there is so much of them, that refining all of them is probably not possible in a reasonable time, but I believe it is something that step by step could be done (probably is sometimes, but still, the scale is overwhelming and growing).

1 Like

We’ve released several desktop games with Defold and have no issues, have not had any issues for years. I want everything in DefOS to be in core Defold too (it’s cool that it can be a community extension but it shouldn’t be)(I also strongly believe something like RenderCam+Orthographic should also be core, should be part of the standard), but they have still had limited resources. It absolutely makes sense they give priority to the companies keeping their lights on. But that doesn’t mean they are ignoring user requests, that seems like the majority of what they fix/add is not what the big funders ask for. The new texture features are very very very useful! They can enable complicated systems that advanced users can make and share with less advanced users so that they can use interesting things.

Can you give examples of this? I watch the Defold issues every day and I don’t see that but maybe I’m missing something.

closed issues list Issues · defold/defold · GitHub I do not see anything alarming in recent history

This kind of thing would be useful to do roundups listing outstanding things that are wanted added/fixed.

As an example, again I still want DefOS to be part of core too, but there is also nothing wrong with it. It enables everything I as a primarily desktop dev wants as far as those kinds of OS features go.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil. They don’t have unlimited time/money so have to prioritize, major issues do get solved in reasonable time.

Let’s make a thread for everything we would hope to see in 2023? New features / bugfix wise.

9 Likes

Eh, I lost count of how long I’ve been waiting to be able to define polygonal collision objects in the editor, but I can’t complain about everything else really.
Hopefully opening up the editor more to extensions scripting will give it the boost needed from the community and free up more time for the devs for really core features.

4 Likes

Personally I’d love to be able to get rendertargets off the GPU and save them to disk (useful when you want to do something like reflection probes, would also make screenshots possible without needing an external extension) I know I read somewhere that was a wishlist feature for the team. Not hugely important for me currently, but it’s still a nice feature to have.

3 Likes

There are at least several community projects which enable this to some degree at least. I agree it needs to be first class feature in the editor! Something like the way you make mesh geometry with Spine would be perfect. Auto mesh. Move around points and find geometry. Automatically making and combining multiple mesh shapes when needed.

2 Likes