Defold 1.3.5 has been released

So for now, i can’t ship compressed and encrypted lua sources?

Not with 1.3.5 :sob:

I will look into a --compress-lua-source option for the next release (or even revert the whole Lua 5.1.5 bytecode feature).

2 Likes

I believe in you :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Created a new task: https://github.com/defold/defold/issues/6891

Hello Björn,

I don’t know whether this is at all related, but I get an error to do with bytecode, too since updating.
I use your metrics extension and doing so prevents the app from starting on Android now. Logcat shows not error.
Next, I removed the extension and moved the files into the folder structure and logcat now does report something to do with malformed bytecode:

2022-08-17 09:56:09.144 10036-10053/com.test.todo E/defold: ERROR:SCRIPT: metrics/mem.script:0: attempt to call a number value
    stack traceback:
      metrics/mem.script:0: in main chunk
2022-08-17 09:56:09.144 10036-10053/com.test.todo W/defold: WARNING:RESOURCE: Unable to create resource: /metrics/mem.scriptc: FORMAT_ERROR
2022-08-17 09:56:09.144 10036-10053/com.test.todo E/defold: ERROR:GAMEOBJECT: Error running script: metrics/fps.script: cannot load malformed bytecode
2022-08-17 09:56:09.144 10036-10053/com.test.todo W/defold: WARNING:RESOURCE: Unable to create resource: /metrics/fps.scriptc: FORMAT_ERROR
2022-08-17 09:56:09.154 10036-10053/com.test.todo E/defold: ERROR:GAMEOBJECT: Error running script: metrics/fps.script: cannot load malformed bytecode
2022-08-17 09:56:09.154 10036-10053/com.test.todo W/defold: WARNING:RESOURCE: Unable to create resource: /metrics/fps.scriptc: FORMAT_ERROR
2022-08-17 09:56:09.154 10036-10053/com.test.todo W/defold: WARNING:RESOURCE: Unable to create resource: /metrics/fps.goc: FORMAT_ERROR
2022-08-17 09:56:09.154 10036-10053/com.test.todo E/defold: ERROR:GAMEOBJECT: Could not instantiate game object from prototype /metrics/fps.goc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. When run through bob I get some interesting output:

1:26 no viable alternative at input '(to be'
line 1:36 mismatched input 'in' expecting {<EOF>, ';', 'break', 'goto', 'do', 'while', 'repeat', 'for', 'function', 'local', 'if', 'return', ':', '::', '.', '(', '[', '{', NAME, NORMALSTRING, CHARSTRING, LONGSTRING}
line 1:18 no viable alternative at input '(self,'
line 1:38 mismatched input ')' expecting {':', '.', ',', '(', '[', '{', '=', NORMALSTRING, CHARSTRING, LONGSTRING}
line 4:0 mismatched input 'end' expecting {':', '.', '(', ')', '[', '{', 'or', 'and', '<', '>', '<=', '>=', '~=', '==', '..', '+', '-', '*', '/', '%', '//', '&', '|', '~', '<<', '>>', '^', NORMALSTRING, CHARSTRING, LONGSTRING}
line 10:23 token recognition error at: '?'
line 14:16 token recognition error at: '!'
line 14:17 token recognition error at: '!'
line 14:18 token recognition error at: '!'
line 59:110 token recognition error at: '?'
line 140:62 token recognition error at: '!'
line 140:63 token recognition error at: '!'
line 205:85 token recognition error at: '?'
line 8:17 no viable alternative at input '(2022-xx-xx xx'
line 8:13 mismatched input '-' expecting {<EOF>, ';', 'break', 'goto', 'do', 'while', 'repeat', 'for', 'function', 'local', 'if', 'return', ':', '::', '.', '(', '[', '{', NAME, NORMALSTRING, CHARSTRING, LONGSTRING}

And

The build failed for the following reasons:
ERROR _version_changelog.lua:3 '=' expected near 'VERSIONS'

ERROR extensions/external/jumper/core/lookuptable.lua:1 ')' expected near ','

ERROR _TEMP_custom_resources_list.lua:1 '=' expected near 'CUSTOM'

Let’s have a look then:

ERROR _version_changelog.lua:3 ‘=’ expected near 'VERSIONS’
Your project contains this file in the root of the project. It is a changelog and does not contain valid Lua source code.

ERROR extensions/external/jumper/core/lookuptable.lua:1 ‘)’ expected near ','
This is what we have at the beginning of this file:

local addNode(self, node, nextNode, ed)
	if not self._pathDB[node] then self._pathDB[node] = {} end
	self._pathDB[node][ed] = (nextNode == ed and node or nextNode)
end

This is invalid Lua. It should be local function addNode(....

ERROR _TEMP_custom_resources_list.lua:1 ‘=’ expected near 'CUSTOM’
Again, this is a file with the .lua extension but it does not contain Lua code.

If you fix this the project will build.

1 Like

Pretty weird that this invalid lua code has never been a problem before… Like if this function is never used :thinking:

Anyway it works fine now, thanks :slight_smile:

The difference is that when you bundle your code the build pipeline (incorrectly) processes all Lua files. This was previously not a problem since we didn’t process the Lua code (to bytecode) but now that we do, these kinds of issues are uncovered.

3 Likes

We’re reverting generation of bytecode for HTML5 builds and will release a new version later today.

Which version were you using before? And what kind of device are you testing on?

Hi there,

I always use the most up to date stable version, so the one before was 1.3.4.
I am on a Mac mini M1, updated yesterday to Monterey 12.5.1. The extension didn’t work before the OS update either, stopped working since Defold 1.3.5.

1 Like

But didn’t you say there was a problem on Android? And by ‘extension’ you mean the defold-metrics repo (https://github.com/britzl/defold-metrics)?

1 Like

Sorry! You were faster, I just was about to add:
The Android device I tested it on is a very old Samsung Galaxy Tab S from 2014. And yes, I mean the defold-metrics repo.

EDIT: just fired up Android Studio and installed the app on several virtual devices with the latest Android API: no problem on any of them. Sigh, I need a newer test device, it seems.

I think your Samsung Galaxy Tab S is a 32bit device?
Do you build universal APK for both x32 and x64? If so, could you pls try to build x32 only and check if it works.

2 Likes

Course I can - hang on!

@AGulev: Alexey, you are right, 32-bit only works, did an apk only and an apk+aab. Bundling for both 32-bits and 64-bits crashes the app.

1 Like

Thanks. This gives us something to investigate.

2 Likes

Could you pls share this metrics/mem.script file with us?

There it is, I thinks you mean the one from the repo I use in the project, don’t you:
mem.script (306 Bytes)

2 Likes

Just to make sure it’s not down to my project, I just downloaded the defold-metrics repo project itself and ran the tests:
same result: 32 bit works, bundling for both 32 and 64 bit crashes the app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S.

2 Likes