Defold 1.2.180 has been released

Huh, I can’t really explain that. That version should contain the same code as the test executable I gave you previously.

Does the version work stand alone? (outside of the editor?)

http://d.defold.com/archive/dev/3ba40acef96d906d3ff5e8f1a3cb08b1c2f0720d/engine/x86_64-linux/dmengine

Pls, try to remove build folder from your project folder.
or even better, try to test on empty(new) project.

2 Likes

Got the same error. The standalone build works fine.

Also, after setting export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3 it seems ok, but I faced a new error when I try to open collection in editor

java.lang.ClassCastException: class jogamp.opengl.es1.GLES1Impl cannot be cast to class com.jogamp.opengl.GL2ES2 (jogamp.opengl.es1.GLES1Impl and com.jogamp.opengl.GL2ES2 are in unnamed module of loader 'app')
        at editor.gl$gl_clear.invokeStatic(gl.clj:191)
        at editor.scene$render_BANG_.invokeStatic(scene.clj:273)
        at editor.scene$update_image_view_BANG_$fn__41790.invoke(scene.clj:1158)
        at editor.scene$update_image_view_BANG_.invokeStatic(scene.clj:1155)
        at editor.scene$update_image_view_BANG_.invoke(scene.clj:1127)
        at editor.scene$refresh_scene_view_BANG_.invokeStatic(scene.clj:842)
        at editor.app_view$refresh_scene_views_BANG_$fn__46970.invoke(app_view.clj:1370)
        at editor.app_view$refresh_scene_views_BANG_.invokeStatic(app_view.clj:1370)
        at editor.app_view$open_resource$fn__47043.invoke(app_view.clj:1600)
        at clojure.lang.AFn.run(AFn.java:22)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:428)
        at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$11(PlatformImpl.java:427)
        at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
        at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
        at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$runLoop$11(GtkApplication.java:277)
        at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

glxinfo | grep OpenGL                                                                                                                                  
OpenGL vendor string: Intel
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.3.4
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.3.4
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 20.3.4
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
1 Like

cc @Mathias_Westerdahl Also didn’t work - removed the build folder and even started a new project. For reference, before I start Defold on Ubuntu 20.04 I always have to make sure I use the command:

export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1

Otherwise the visual editor never works. I used MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3 in the past without success. I am not sure if this is what causes the issue.

Yes, this works properly

1 Like

Thanks for the info!
So, first step seems to be to make the editor “remove” the MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE when launching the engine.

Hmm… the size became much bigger…

path_settings {
  path: "/**/*_bg.atlas"
  profile: "RGB"
}
path_settings {
  path: "/**/*_hq.atlas"
  profile: "Default"
}
path_settings {
  path: "/**/*.atlas"
  profile: "RGBA_lossy"
}
path_settings {
  path: "**"
  profile: "Raw"
}
profiles {
  name: "RGB"
  platforms {
    formats {
      format: TEXTURE_FORMAT_RGB
      compression_level: HIGH
      compression_type: COMPRESSION_TYPE_WEBP_LOSSY
    }
    mipmaps: true
    max_texture_size: 0
    premultiply_alpha: true
  }
}
profiles {
  name: "RGBA_lossy"
  platforms {
    formats {
      format: TEXTURE_FORMAT_RGBA
      compression_level: BEST
      compression_type: COMPRESSION_TYPE_WEBP_LOSSY
    }
    mipmaps: true
  }
}
profiles {
  name: "Default"
  platforms {
    formats {
      compression_level: BEST
      compression_type: COMPRESSION_TYPE_WEBP
    }
    mipmaps: false
  }
}
profiles {
  name: "Raw"
  platforms {
    formats {
      compression_level: FAST
      compression_type: COMPRESSION_TYPE_DEFAULT
    }
    mipmaps: false
  }
}
1 Like

Tried this. The launch actually crashes. And in previous versions running Defold without the override crashed the visual editors. It was OK on Ubuntu 18.04 but it started being an issue on Ubuntu 20.04 (so 20.04 had to have the override):

2021-03-09 10:58:27.903 ERROR default    com.defold.editor.Start - failed to open editor
com.jogamp.opengl.GLException: Graphics configuration failed [direct caps, eglGetConfig/chooser and fixed-caps(1-3)]
	at jogamp.opengl.egl.EGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.chooseGraphicsConfigurationStatic(EGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.java:317)
	at jogamp.opengl.egl.EGLDrawableFactory.evalConfig(EGLDrawableFactory.java:1060)
	at jogamp.opengl.egl.EGLDrawableFactory.createMutableSurfaceImpl(EGLDrawableFactory.java:1072)
	at jogamp.opengl.egl.EGLDrawableFactory.createMutableSurfaceImpl(EGLDrawableFactory.java:88)
	at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableFactoryImpl.createOffscreenDrawable(GLDrawableFactoryImpl.java:432)
	at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableFactoryImpl.createOffscreenAutoDrawable(GLDrawableFactoryImpl.java:373)
	at editor.gl$unchecked_offscreen_drawable.invokeStatic(gl.clj:51)
	at editor.gl$init_info_BANG_.invokeStatic(gl.clj:106)
	at editor.gl$info.invokeStatic(gl.clj:120)
	at editor.gl$gl_support_error.invokeStatic(gl.clj:122)
	at editor.boot$main.invokeStatic(boot.clj:111)
	at editor.boot$main.invoke(boot.clj:107)
	at clojure.lang.Var.invoke(Var.java:388)
	at editor.bootloader$main.invokeStatic(bootloader.clj:65)
	at editor.bootloader$main.invoke(bootloader.clj:59)
	at clojure.lang.Var.invoke(Var.java:384)
	at org.projectodd.shimdandy.impl.ClojureRuntimeShimImpl.invoke(ClojureRuntimeShimImpl.java:109)
	at org.projectodd.shimdandy.impl.ClojureRuntimeShimImpl.invoke(ClojureRuntimeShimImpl.java:102)
	at com.defold.editor.EditorApplication.run(EditorApplication.java:38)
	at com.defold.editor.Start.lambda$kickLoading$0(Start.java:62)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:428)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$11(PlatformImpl.java:427)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$runLoop$11(GtkApplication.java:277)

Ah, I guess I wasn’t clear. I’m going to try to modify the editor, so that it doesn’t pass the MESA flag to the engine when launching it.

1 Like

Yes, that is the current drawback of using the new texture compression.
We’re expecting more optimizations to be done for the file format, making it compress a lot more. (in the next few months)

The upside being that you’ll get hardware acceleration on Desktop+HTML5, and that the format is transcoded at runtime (i.e. you can support old and new graphics cards with the same bundle).

We also have other plans to mitigate the size increase. The resource plugins is one of the things I will look into next.

3 Likes

Hi @ahmedmaawy and @ghpxi!
Here I have a new editor build that removes the MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE and MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE flags before launching the engine.

Please try it out and let me know!

http://d.defold.com/archive/dev/5dcfe8080efe8931af15f9d9d1a0aadd4692cacc/dev/editor2/Defold-x86_64-darwin.dmg

http://d.defold.com/archive/dev/5dcfe8080efe8931af15f9d9d1a0aadd4692cacc/dev/editor2/Defold-x86_64-win32.zip

http://d.defold.com/archive/dev/5dcfe8080efe8931af15f9d9d1a0aadd4692cacc/dev/editor2/Defold-x86_64-linux.zip

Happens when launching:

com.jogamp.opengl.GLException: Graphics configuration failed [direct caps, eglGetConfig/chooser and fixed-caps(1-3)]
	at jogamp.opengl.egl.EGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.chooseGraphicsConfigurationStatic(EGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.java:317)
	at jogamp.opengl.egl.EGLDrawableFactory.evalConfig(EGLDrawableFactory.java:1060)
	at jogamp.opengl.egl.EGLDrawableFactory.createMutableSurfaceImpl(EGLDrawableFactory.java:1072)
	at jogamp.opengl.egl.EGLDrawableFactory.createMutableSurfaceImpl(EGLDrawableFactory.java:88)
	at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableFactoryImpl.createOffscreenDrawable(GLDrawableFactoryImpl.java:432)
	at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableFactoryImpl.createOffscreenAutoDrawable(GLDrawableFactoryImpl.java:373)
	at org.projectodd.shimdandy.impl.ClojureRuntimeShimImpl.invoke(ClojureRuntimeShimImpl.java:109)
	at org.projectodd.shimdandy.impl.ClojureRuntimeShimImpl.invoke(ClojureRuntimeShimImpl.java:102)
2021-03-09 12:20:37.288 ERROR default    com.defold.editor.Start - failed to open editor

Thanks! Another piece of the puzzle…

1 Like

What about Basis etc1s format? What platform can support it?
So far I always see “could not encode” error (trying to compile html and osx)

1 Like

What that compressor does is generate gpu hardware formats directly (as opposed to transcoding them at runtime like uastc does).
It seems I forgot to hide that option. We currently don’t support that code path.

1 Like

Hi, this build is ok. I can build and run the Basic 3D Project, but unfortunately, the same issue when I open the collection

java.lang.ClassCastException: class jogamp.opengl.es1.GLES1Impl cannot be cast to class com.jogamp.opengl.GL2ES2 (jogamp.opengl.es1.GLES1Impl and com.jogamp.opengl.GL2ES2 are in unnamed module of loader 'app')
        at editor.gl$gl_clear.invokeStatic(gl.clj:191)
        at editor.scene$render_BANG_.invokeStatic(scene.clj:273)
        at editor.scene$update_image_view_BANG_$fn__41790.invoke(scene.clj:1158)
        at editor.scene$update_image_view_BANG_.invokeStatic(scene.clj:1155)
        at editor.scene$update_image_view_BANG_.invoke(scene.clj:1127)
        at editor.scene$refresh_scene_view_BANG_.invokeStatic(scene.clj:842)
        at editor.app_view$refresh_scene_views_BANG_$fn__46970.invoke(app_view.clj:1370)
        at editor.app_view$refresh_scene_views_BANG_.invokeStatic(app_view.clj:1370)
        at editor.app_view$open_resource$fn__47043.invoke(app_view.clj:1600)
        at clojure.lang.AFn.run(AFn.java:22)
2021-03-09 13:13:08.568 ERROR default    editor.error-reporting - {:line 110}
1 Like

Here’s a version where the removal of those environment variables only occurs for the dmengine executable. (@ahmedmaawy, @ghpxi)

http://d.defold.com/archive/dev/7f6ea10a88c77445c4727a941ed70fac0fd15207/dev/editor2/Defold-x86_64-darwin.dmg

http://d.defold.com/archive/dev/7f6ea10a88c77445c4727a941ed70fac0fd15207/dev/editor2/Defold-x86_64-win32.zip

http://d.defold.com/archive/dev/7f6ea10a88c77445c4727a941ed70fac0fd15207/dev/editor2/Defold-x86_64-linux.zip

I am still getting the same error message

1 Like

:frowning:
I really wish I could reproduce it myself.
I guess I’ll have to figure out a way to do that.

A swell idea is maybe to try Ubuntu 20.04 on a Virtual Machine :smiley: