DefoldCon - Defold mini-conference on March 17 19:00 CET

We would like to invite you to DefoldCon - an online mini-conference for the Defold community.

Get the latest updates from the Defold team, listen to interesting and inspirational presentations and participate in an open Q & A with the Defold team.

The event will take place on February 24th at 10am PST / 1pm EST / 7pm, 19:00 CET.

The event is free and requires no registration. It will be streamed to YouTube Live and the recording will be shared in our YouTube Channel if you’re unable to watch the live stream.

Agenda and live stream link can be found here:

34 Likes

Good morning everyone! This is a reminder to join the live stream for our Defold Mini-Conference on Thursday at 19:00 CET. We have a great line of speakers from our community ready to share their knowledge! We hope to see you there!

14 Likes

Few questions for Q&A session:

@dapetcu21 (Marius Petcu)
Could you tell more about your narrative solution Fuior in a couple of key features, that were the reason for its creation?

@aglitchman (Artsiom Trubchyk) & @dlannan (David Lannan)
What about the design of levels in the old-fashion Quake or Half-Life style, what are the main limitations right now?

• What are the workarounds for putting different textures on different sides of the object, as often happens in such levels, where one texture is a wall and another is the floor.

• Is there a need to optimize the storage of these textures and models if there will be as many as in the actual levels of the first Half-Life, or will the limitations of Defold be enough.

7 Likes

A big part of the talk will be about Fuior :wink:

7 Likes

Question for the Q&A:
How are issues selected to be worked on for individual releases? Looking at the 2021 roadmap maybe a third of the issues were completed, and most of the community vote ones are not done. It’s a common situation in many teams - there’s always too much to do!

4 Likes

Thanks!
We’ll put it on the Q&A list for tonight.

If you wish to read a bit more about the road map and the retrospective of 2021, here’s the blog post

3 Likes

I read that when it was published and it was a good & honest review of the year. My concern is that when I look at release notes, the issue numbers are clustered together around new issues, and perhaps older (but still important) issues get less attention than new (sometimes less important) ones. Anyway, I suppose this discussion is best left for this evening!

1 Like

We have decided to postpone this event to March 17th at 10am PST / 1pm EST / 7pm, 19:00 CET

:heart: :ukraine:

28 Likes

Is there a common place where we could post questions for the conference so that you come prepared? I get the feeling there will be a lot of them this time :smiley:

You can post questions in advance in this forum post, or send them to me via email (bjorn@defold.se).

1 Like

Will it be recorded and available to watch afterwards? 4am is a bit early for me :slight_smile:

Yes, we will stream it to YouTube and the stream will be available afterwards.

2 Likes

Good afternoon! This is a reminder that we’ll be hosting our small mini conference tomorrow evening. Stream link and more info here: DefCon

8 Likes

I would just like to point out that there could be some unnecessary confusion regarding the name of the event.

DEF CON is already an established name for a conference with videos on Youtube. (google search:defcon events)

DEF CON is one of the world’s largest and most notable hacker conventions, held annually in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Using the same name would just create a lot of bounces from people that were searching for something else and consequently lower events discoverability in Google and Youtube search results.

Since DEFOLD could use any bit of help/boost it can get in recognition I would just recommend using full name instead.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reminder. We’ll use Defold Con instead to reduce confusion.

5 Likes

Don’t forget to submit questions in advance of the conference!

You can also ask questions in the YouTube Stream chat, but getting some questions in advance will give us time to formulate good answers!

3 Likes

Question for the conference:

Do you have contingency plans in place for future disruption? Primarily I am thinking of insufficient funding or loss of key staff (e.g. Björn or Mathias). I know the engine is open to contributions from anyone, but realistically speaking it seems to me like currently Mathias is contributing the overwhelming majority of changes.

8 Likes

Great question. Thank you.

1 Like

Questions for the conference (if those will not be answered actually during State of Defold):

1. Will you tell us a little bit about Refold and how do you help port games to NS? I’m sure next must be PS5 - so what about it? :smiley:
  2. Do you have any strategic (mainly including economical factors) plans regarding expanding Defold’s PR? A (hired/commisioned) person for tutorials, videos or so (something like was being held by Oleg back then)?
  3. Do you have any plans regarding game jams cooperations like the ones with Web Monetization or Yandex, you can share already?
  4. What are your plans regarding collaboration with OP Games?
  5. Are there any new corporate partners on horizon?
  6. Will you appreciate all current team members and whoever is helping develop Defold by PRs and from corporate partners? :smiley:
7 Likes

Thank you!

I do not understand this question. Could you please rephrase it?