Error preventing me from opening defold editor

Hi guys,
I’m getting a dialogue box with this message when trying to open up defold
"An error has occurred. See the log file C:\Users\loren\Defold-win32.win32.x86\workspace.metadata.log."
Any ideas what to do next please?

Here’s some stuff from the log…

!SESSION 2017-06-27 08:07:46.184 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_05
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_AU
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

This is a continuation of log file C:\Users\loren\Defold-win32.win32.x86\workspace.metadata.bak_0.log
Created Time: 2017-06-27 08:07:47.720

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2017-06-27 08:07:47.721
!MESSAGE An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.dynamo.cr.editor (226).
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The activator com.dynamo.cr.editor.Activator for bundle com.dynamo.cr.editor is invalid
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadBundleActivator(AbstractBundle.java:172)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:679)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:381)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(AbstractBundle.java:300)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.start(SecureAction.java:440)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.setLazyTrigger(BundleLoader.java:263)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:107)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:469)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.findLocalClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:216)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:395)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:464)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:421)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:412)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:107)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.loadClass(BundleLoader.java:340)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.loadClass(BundleHost.java:229)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadClass(AbstractBundle.java:1212)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:174)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ExtensionRegistry.createExecutableExtension(ExtensionRegistry.java:905)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:243)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElementHandle.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElementHandle.java:55)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:191)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/core/resources/IResourceChangeListener
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.defineClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:188)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.defineClassHoldingLock(ClasspathManager.java:632)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.defineClass(ClasspathManager.java:607)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:568)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:492)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:465)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.findLocalClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:216)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:395)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:464)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:421)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:412)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:107)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.loadClass(BundleLoader.java:340)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.loadClass(BundleHost.java:229)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadBundleActivator(AbstractBundle.java:165)
… 33 more
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter$TerminatingClassNotFoundException: An error occurred while automatically activating bundle org.eclipse.core.resources (49).
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:122)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:469)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.SingleSourcePackage.loadClass(SingleSourcePackage.java:35)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:461)
… 51 more
Caused by: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in org.eclipse.core.resources.ResourcesPlugin.start() of bundle org.eclipse.core.resources.
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:734)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:683)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:381)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(AbstractBundle.java:300)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.start(SecureAction.java:440)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.setLazyTrigger(BundleLoader.java:263)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:107)
… 60 more

What if you download a new version of Defold (editor 1) and try to open that? You get the error when starting the editor, not opening a project right?

Hi britzl,

Yes that right the error comes up when I try to open editor 1. One thing though. I don’t want to save over a particular project that I’m currently working on but (foolishly) haven’t synchronised for a while. Do I just have to create a different directory from the old one for the new install to make sure that I don’t lose my old work? Cheers

My recommendation is to not try to replace the existing installation. Download and unzip to a new location and then copy the branches folder from your old installation to the new one. The branches folder contains your local git clones of all of your projects.

1 Like

I’ll give that a go

I’m now able to open defold editor 1 but I get this error when trying to open a project “Could not open the editor: An exception was thrown during initialization”. (I’ve tried opening a few different projects) Fortunately, I can actually open projects with editor 2, which means I’ll be working with a broken graphics editor but at least it works otherwise, I can live with that.

One other question. Is there a resource you can direct me to regarding pushing and pulling when synchronising projects. I’m trying to do so in editor 2 , not sure what these things mean. Don’t want to botch it. Cheers.

Does it provide any additional information (ie the exception)? Does it happen for all projects?

These are git operations. Editor 1 always did a pull and push (or maybe the other way around).

Push = Send your local changes to the remote repository
Pull = Get new content from the remote repository

If you’re working as a solo dev on a single machine and on a single branch you usually only push content. If you are working with different branches or with team mates it’s likely that you will pull changes from others as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on the git stuff…

Yes, it happens for all projects. there’s a whole bunch of stuff when you hit the “details”

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.ui.ide.FileStoreEditorInput cannot be cast to org.eclipse.ui.IFileEditorInput
at com.dynamo.cr.projed.ProjectEditor.init(ProjectEditor.java:85)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.createSite(EditorManager.java:828)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:647)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:465)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:595)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartPane.setVisible(PartPane.java:315)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PresentablePart.setVisible(PresentablePart.java:180)

and a lot more stuff along these lines comes up

Hmm, really strange. Can you think of any changes you have made to your system recently? Did this start to happen when we released 1.2.107 yesterday?

I did download that update. I also downloaded a malwarebytes update. I don’t think there’s anything else. It was working this morning. My computer ran out of battery, and then it didn’t work after that. Not sure what caused it.

Ok, now editor 2 isn’t working. It was working. I made two changes. It stopped working. I erased the the two changes. It’s still not working. Don’t know what’s happening. Here’s a message that’s coming up when I try to build and/or rebuild now…

Any ideas on what’s going on. I don’t understand how this can work one minute and then then next thing it’s saying that it can’t find any of the above listed resources?

Hmm, looks like you system doesn’t like the LuaJIT binary or something like that. Is your antivirus blocking it maybe? @mats.gisselson, @Ragnar_Svensson, @Ragnar_Dahlen and @Erik_Angelin, any input?

2 Likes

I excluded defold from being scanned with my antivirus software. I synchronised the version of the game that stopped being able to be loaded from editor 2 and then opened the same project from the dashboard and now it works again (even in editor 1). I’m still a bit confused at how this all happened, but lesson learned I will synchronise and back up everyday from now on.

Just out of interest do you get many reports of issues like this from mac users? I have had a few issues with defold on this laptop starting with the opengl thing (that’s still ongoing) from the very beginning, and I’ve been looking at upgrading my crappy computer anyway. I’m going to keep going with defold so I’d like to find a reliable system to use it on.

None. Windows seems to be the most problematic system with it’s massive list of software and hardware configurations, paired with user permission issues. We do however wish to give everyone a great experience regardless of OS.

Did you also exclude that folder that is mentioned in the error message? (C:/Users/loren/AppData/Local/Defold)

No just the main program.

well there’s a first time for everything… Just downloaded editor 1 on a mackbook air. I tried to install it and it said some java component was missing. I installed the recommended file. Then when I tried to open it again I got another log error message: “An error has occurred. See the log file
/Users/loren/.eclipse/700172654/configuration/1498809979457.log.”

I will now try out editor 2

I’m curious, what component did it ask for? We ship Editor 1 with a Java JRE, so it is self contained (no extra installed should be needed afaik)

1 Like

I can’t remember exactly, but the dialogue box that popped up had a details button which linked me to this page when I clicked on it https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_AU

1 Like