Does exist plan to add Rust to native extention?

Hello there. I am not professional programmer. I am hobbyist. I like that Defold is trully crossplatform. So I plan to learn and use Defold only.
But I know about a lot of useful features of Rust programming language like as borrow checker (memory safety), functional programming etc. Rust is more easy and safe than C++, more fast than Java and JavaScript.
“If you need custom interaction with external software or hardware on a low level where Lua won’t suffice, the Defold SDK allows you to write extensions to the engine in C, C++, Objective C, Java or Javascript, depending on target platform.”
Can I expect in 2024 or 2025 Rust support in Defold?

2 Likes

It’s not something we have planned.
Perhaps in the future we might add it.

We are currently working on updating our sdk (for several reasons), and that will allow us to finish our experimental Zig support for extensions.

2 Likes

Wow! I did listen about Zig, but didn’t try it. Bloggers say that Zig is better alternative for C. Thanks!

Kotlin & Swift are also reasonable to be added :smiley:

1 Like

We will not add support for those, but hopefully a community extension can be built on top of our new api

3 Likes

Totally this. The maintenance cost of adding several new languages will be huge and nothing we have the capacity to support. The purpose behind an extended and well designed public C++ SDK and C# as a new extension language is that others can add support for and maintain new languages.

3 Likes

Is there a way to support a new language via extension? Could you give a clue? I’m curious

No not yet, we are working on the api currently, so it’s not possible yet

1 Like

If you can compile your code offline, into a .a/.lib file for the platforms you want to support, you can support other languages already. Put your library files in the my_extension/lib/<platform>/ folder, and it will be linked with the engine.

3 Likes