Recreate accumulation meter from Candy Crush Jelly Saga

Hey everyone. Not sure where to put this but I’m trying to recreate the jelly fill meter from CCJS to use as part of my countdown in Pie Squares. I’m sure I could think of something but I wanted to ask for y’all’s thoughts before I started working on it on Saturday. I’m on mobile or I would upload a picture to show what I mean but I’m sure you could google that image.

Hi

I guess you are after the one to the left here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_nefsw7lM

I would create it by.
Have a glass foreground shaped with round corners just like that but that also have some of the blue background making the corners totally opaque. Only the “glass” itself should have some alpha transparency on it.
Create a 9 sliced fillermeter that you put behind this square foreground. Using 9-slice will allow you not to stretch the top of the meterfilling when scaling the height.
Notice that they never go from total 0 in height but start with a small portion of filling to avoid weird look when glass is rounded at the bottom.
I believe they do the same thing at the top.

Now you can just send in the values to the gui via message and set the height of the filling depending on the value (or better make an gui.animation so it raises smoothly)

7 Likes

I’d do exactly the same as @AJirenius suggested.

1 Like

Here is another way of doing this kind of thing, although look will be slightly different

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice guys but I meant the circular one. Sorry for the confusion. I completely forgot about the other layouts…I guess I should’ve tried harder to figure out loading a picture on mobile (or been more clear in my writing). Here is the one I’m trying to emulate (in the middle):

That is good advice in general though! I’ll probably still use it for something else.

For the circular meter, I feel the Pie node in the gui is suitable for this kind of task, in conjunction with the techniques outlined in the previous posts. E.g. it doesn’t support slice 9, so you’d have to put the start/end bits there by yourself in some way (if needed)

Another option, that hasn’t been mentioned, is to use stencils for clipping, which allows for more custom shapes.

3 Likes