Where to start learning?

Hello everyone!
I would like to know where to find learning materials, I already did the “Side scroller” tutorial but that was just editing a pre-made game. Are there any tutorials out there somewhere that show step by step how to make a game from scratch?

I have previously been using GameMaker Studio 2 using their gml language but Defold is filled with so many things that I don’t know how to get started.

What type of game do you want to make?

Small games, casual and/or challenging, suitable for mobile and web.

1 Like

Okay, this is not going to be the answer that you want (I am sure someone will link you to a few tutorials, though…) but my advice would be:

1. Defold is already suitable for mobile and web and you hardly have to change anything to make your game suitable for both (obviously, the big thing tends to be making the controls suitable for both web and mobile…) so that’s great!

2. I’d say that you should first thing about the game mechanic you want, then start searching for examples of that. Side scrollers are relatively simple compared with other sorts of games if you have little coding experience. Top-down grid based games are also good to get started. It makes sense to get a clear idea of what you want to do before you get started and you’ll get better suggestions for tutorials here as well

If anyone knows of a tutorial for a top-down grid based game, that would be amazing! Also looking for something that will give an introduction to multiplayer.

There’s a top-down example here: https://github.com/defold/sample-rpgmap

1 Like

Added this sample and the three others to the Tutorials section. Also added all of Ben James’ games to the list of Community Resources.

2 Likes