What's making the engine pause when it is minimized?

Could someone with access to the source see what is making the engine pause while it is minimized?

Ideally pausing or not pausing while minimized should be an option.

I’m not able to check now, but at least on mobile it’s really the expected behavior that the game stops running. If we were to keep it running we’d have to use some kind of background thread or service.

I guess on desktop it’s another story and maybe something we should consider.

Yes, the desktop apps use the same path as the mobile apps. But perhaps it should be a project setting in the future.

Please make it a project setting! There are certain applications where it’s not desirable to pause like how it does.

2 Likes

This is a big problem with multiplayer games on desktop platforms. If the user minimizes the game they will time out from the server guaranteed. If they resize or drag the window it pauses the engine too.

3 Likes

Please get in touch via slack and we’ll discuss options and timeline for this.

1 Like

Hey, kinda late to the party, but is there any update about the minimized/background state on mobile? I noticed the iconified state setting, but apparently it’s working for desktop only. Scrolled through all the related topics and didn’t find the answer on what’s the status of it right now. Just like @Pkeod said, multiplayer games suffer horribly from this, and I couldn’t seem to find any solution so far. Would like at least to know what’s blocking this and if I can maybe help somehow?

Running applications in the background on mobile is a completely different thing than on desktop. Mobile apps are generally not allowed to run in the background like that. I think what you need to do is to sync game state when you come back to the game from having it in the background.

1 Like

Thought that’d be my last resort, but had hopes nonetheless.
Googled some more on it, and it indeed looks complicated even for trivial apps (what with Android’s background services, deferred tasks, etc…)
Thanks for the prompt reply! :star_struck: