Webgl build on iOS browser. Does it work?

Hello. I’ve made a html5 game and it runs pretty well on PC browser.
I also tried to run it on android browser and it runs acceptable (player could play the game with 15-20fps, and for my game it’s ok).

On iOS (iPhone5, ipad2) game works bad - fps is very low.

So the question is - is there any game which run on iOS browser to be sure that it’s my mistake somewhere so i’ll start work on optimization, it’s real important for me to give player to play the game immediately if he comes from mobile browser and for “better experience” point him to apple or google store

thanks.

No, Defold is not optimized at all for HTML5 on mobile. You should detect that they are on a mobile device (there are existing JS libraries for this), and encourage them to use the appropriate native app instead.

It would be entirely possible for Defold engine to be optimized more for the HTML5 build in general (although it would be time consuming work) but I wouldn’t count it as being a priority… just get people to download the native mobile app instead.

1 Like

Thanks Pkeod.

I was need official confirmation that this is an engine limitation and not the game itself.

Defold guys. Do you have any plans for html5 on mobile in closest future? I’m still trying to run the game in browsers on mobiles and android sims 95% works apart of ios.

thanks.

No, there are no new plans to optimize html5 for mobile browsers in any near future. As @pkeod says, for performance reasons, it’s better to support native apps.

1 Like

Weeeelll =] HTML5 microgames in fact may very well become super popular soon. Telegram has just announced a proper thing: https://telegram.org/blog/games

2 Likes

That’s cool! Facebook is also pushing quite a bit for games in their Messenger app. Maybe games in chat/messaging clients is the next big thing…

2 Likes

exactly why I am excited about this topic =] Hope Defold becomes an engine for mobile web games, chat games and all kinds of the next big things!

For Defold to be useful for mobile webgames, it would need a new runtime made optimized for mobile web. The current one has too much overhead, which is acceptable for desktop browsers, but not for mobile browsers. As mobile browsers/devices get more powerful in the long term it won’t much matter so I don’t know the effort would be worth it. Better to say if people need optimized mobile webgames, such as to take advantage of possible popularity of embedded chat games, they should use a framework meant for mobile web html5 games such as ImpactJS or Phaser. Otherwise promote native version. It might be a good idea to make a cut down version of your game in Phaser meant to be shareable, and use it to upsell full featured native versions. Kind of like what some “game demo” ads already do but more of a complete game.

I personally wouldn’t bet on embedded chat games being huge… I remember back when facebook games were really booming that some dev friends tested in facebook stream games and they were not hugely successful. This situation may be different because of the 1 on 1 competitive nature of personal chat.

Many of the bigger chat apps upsell their own in house games, use their chat apps for auth and cross app rewards. I imagine if this does take off more chat apps will do it, but also be pretty protectionist and limiting, such as disallowing linking to your own app, and wanting the lion’s share of profitability.

1 Like