Tutorial: STEP 5 - Refactoring the level

What does this mean: “Now, create a new folder called level in the project root (right-click the white space below game.project and select New ▸ Folder), then move all level assets to it.”

Does it mean:

level.atlas
level.collection

There is no picture to be sure what I’m supposed to move there.

That is likely correct. BUT it is important to understand that the structure you have in the Assets tab is how the project is structured on disk, not how it’s organised in a scene/view hierarchy. It’s just a way for you to organize your files in a way that makes it easy for you to find the assets of your project. If you create a folder and move a file there any reference to it within your project will automatically be updated. This means that you’re free to rearrange your project assets as your project grow without having to go through your entire project to update references to the moved files.

Also, if you need to find a file you have the File->Open Asset popup that let’s you fuzzy search for a file in your project. Useful if you quickly need to open an asset but you’re unsure where among your asset folders it is located.

No-one in my university class understands Step 5 either, so the Runner Tutorial needs to be fixed. I seriously can not continue before I know where I am supposed to put what and where.

Copy both level.atlas and level.collection to /level folder. A bit further on in the tutorial there’s a screenshot (from editor 1) showing the structure:

As you can see both level.atlas and level.collection is in the level folder.

Thank you for your feedback. I selected the unclear paragraph and clicked the “Spotted an error” button and sent the feedback that way:

BUT I also want to repeat the importance of my previous post. It does not matter the structure you have in Assets. What is important is the structure in the Outline and the naming in Properties.

2 Likes

The instruction “Open main.collection and replace ground.collection with level.collection.” probably means you delete the original main.collection and add ground.collection there?

With Mac’s Finder I’m so used to dragging files and that way replacing old files, I tried to drag ground.collection from Project Explorer to Outline, but that doesn’t seem to work.

In Defold does it matter in which order you add the functions init, final, update, on_message, on_input, and on_reload? When you create a new script file, the functions are in the order of init, final, update, on_message, on_input, and on_reload. Do I need to put on_message function after update function or is it the first function as shown in the example?

For some reason the speed is circled as 6 in the image, but it has never been mentioned in the text that I should change it from 360.

Also, the position of the frog in the image is different from what I have. For me the position of the hero is (0, 0, 0), but in the image it is (-6, -29, 0).

That sort of drag and drop does not (yet) work in the editor.

No, the order does not matter.

Ok, could you please report these on the page like @britzl showed?

1 Like

Yes, I will. It’s just not so personal. It’s so faceless and byrocratic that way. There is no reaction from a real person. In school I like to ask questions as that is part of my learning style.

Should I send them in one patch or can I do it one by one? It can look quite a mess in one message. I don’t want to get flagged by sending a few messages in a short time period. Some forums and websites have flood spamming protection.

OK, I sent them in one patch using numbers between paragraphs:

(1)
Feedback paragraph 1.

(2)
Feedback paragraph 2.

(3)
Feedback paragraph 3.

2 Likes

Thank you! @sicher is typically the one to look through these and make the appropriate changes.

The report tool is totally separate from the forum. You will not get flagged.

2 Likes