Problem with GUI dynamic list in release

When I bundled my project and run it on Android I don’t see what I was seeing in Editor build. I’m utilizing here a Gooey dynamic list but inverted to be a horizontal list. In Editor build I have a proper textures on nodes, but in Android app I see one big white regular node instead of my list :confused:

Editor build:

Android app:

Don’t mind the hero’s label.

As you can see, other nodes are using the texture and it works in release :confused:
Where could I look for a mistake?

Could it be a problem with the clipping perhaps? Do you get the same problem with the example app in Gooey when you test on Android?

No, I’m using Gooey all the time and it’s my first problem like that. I made a custom dynamic list based on Gooey’s to make it work with horizontal swipes. I have a clipping mode set to “Stencil” for the stencil node and for any other node “None” clipping and the structure is like below. I do admit that I had many problems with layers, but I thought, that when I set up everything to work in Editor build, it will work in release too :confused: Why is it different in release? :confused:

The hierarchy is ok for me:

I’m using a custom template, and as you can see I modify the properties in an instance of a template - those changes are applicable when builded, but - are they used in release?

And you know what? Indeed, it was a problem - thanks to your hint I double checked the clipping and there was a mistake in an original template. I modified the template instead of an inserted template in a parent gui and the problem in release disappear! So, to understand the problem completely - why is changing properties of an inserted template in GUI doesn’t apply to a release bundle?

Hello. New to Defold. I was trying to do a similar horizontal card list. Can you please detail what you mean by:

I am trying to use Gooey dynamic list also but I am not clear how to make it horizontal.
Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve added a ticket to track this request. It should probably not be that hard to add support for horizontal lists.

4 Likes

It isn’t. I think I still have somewhere a dirty demo, I think I can clear it up and try a PR to Gooey :wink: but no promises when

4 Likes

I’m working on it now :wink:

2 Likes

And here it is: https://github.com/britzl/gooey/pull/52
Any comments are appreciated :wink:

There is a new flag for dynamic_list() and static_list() introduced: is_horizontal.
It is a last argument to those functions. If it is not changed it will leave legacy behavior (vertical list).
If set to true, it will change list handling behavior to handle horizontal lists.
There are also convenience functions added:

• horizontal _dynamic_list()
  • horizontal _static_list()
  • vertical _dynamic_list()
  • vertical _static_list()

For consistency dynamic list example naming, that is now vertical dynamic list, should be changed, but I have really lack of time :confused: Anyway, old dynamic_list() works as in legacy, because additional flag is_horizontal is by default nil, which causes handling to handle vertical lists

Readme is updated as well :wink:

It should be great for card games! :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you for the update. I tested it now. Works great! The only thing I am confused about is the scroll direction. Usually you scroll the first item to the left out of screen. Maybe I am missing some configuration.

1 Like

You mean with mouse scroll, right? It could be quick-win. Actually, there should be a flag/configuration set for the direction of scroll for horizontal lists: translating up->down to left->right or right->left respectively. I think it lacks also setting sensitivity for scroll. I’ll add it eventually when I’ll have more time, again, no promises when :wink:

Added: Allow to configure scroll behavior for horizontal lists

1 Like