Pass screensize to controller

Hello,
i’m new to defold (and lua) and i am creating a mobile app.
I need the screen size in my main controller. Therefore i set up a custom render script and inserted

msg.post("/main#controller", "screen", {height = render.get_height(), width = render.get_width()})

at the end of the init function.
However the on_message function of my main.script is never called.
my main.collection contains a game objection with the id “controller” which contains the main.script.

What am i doing wrong?

0 Likes

Hi,

You need to access the script and not the gameobject “controller”.

0 Likes

can you tell me how to do that?

0 Likes

So you have attached your script component to your gameobject then when click on your script, in the properties section you will see a URL path. Yours should be “/controller#main”

So in your render script msg.post() it will be:

msg.post("/controller#main", "screen", {height = render.get_height(), width = render.get_width()})

Where controller is the id of the gameobject and main the id of the script.

0 Likes

You can read up on addressing here

0 Likes

ok, i copied the url “/controller#main” from the collection(yours contained a typo), but the on_message still does not get called. i have a print right at the start of it and it doesn’t appear in the console

0 Likes

The good tip is that you can always check empirically the current script url by simply printing msg.url() in init() - this will print out the current script’s url at the beginning :wink:

3 Likes

What does the URL say when you do a print for the url on the script’s init function?

print(msg.url())
1 Like