Particle FX crashes all the time! [DEFEDIT-1465]

Is there any way to stop the Particle FX editor from crashing a lot? It seems almost anything I do causes defold to close! I’ll report the bug now.

It seems to be clicking X on the particle editor that crashes defold, often after it freezes.

1 Like

Oh, this is interesting. Could you please share a link to the reported issue here?

Does it happen for all particle effects or a specific one?

Further investigation: I am able to reproduce the issue by creating a new particle fx, pressing space, and then clicking the x to close the particle FX editor tab. If I don’t press space to start the particle FX preview, it’s not a problem.

1 Like

If I may chime in, specifically with clicking “X” closing Defold, this issue appears when running OBS, the recording software as well.

I didn’t test particle effects, but since they’re graphical I’m sure that would crash it too.

1 Like

Thanks. This is for @Erik_Angelin and @mats.gisselson to look at tomorrow.

1 Like

Have fun guys! (Sorry!)

3 Likes

hi! I’m about to start a new project. There are going to be a lot of particles. Is there any news on this?

Are you still having problems with this even with the latest version of the editor? Can you please confirm that it is crashing?

1 Like

Yes I updated a few times. Now, “update available” does not appear in the corner of the screen. Here’s the process:

Open a particle FX, press space to start particle FX simulation, press X to close particle FX tab, defold crashes.

Does the editor ask you to report the issue or does it just close down? (The report gives us a lot of details around the crash which helps us debug it)

1 Like

Just crashes. I only get the message

Defold quit unexpectedly.

Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

(which is the iOs crash message). See more about this issue in the github.

2 Likes

Hello @88.josh! We found a pretty nasty bug in the code path where we close tabs, could you please update the editor and report back if it still crashes?

2 Likes

Hi Erik. Thanks so much to you and the team for looking into this. I will check out the fix later and report back to you.

5 Likes

I’m really sorry to have to tell you this, but i updated and the exact same problem still happens.

• open defold
  • check that no “update available” text appears
  • open a blank project
  • create a particleFX
  • press space to start simulation
  • press x to close particlefx tab
  • crash

Can you please post a screenshot of the About popup so that we can see which version you’re using?

1 Like

for video