Need help with particlefx not spawning fast enough (SOLVED)

Hey,

so i’ve just started with particles in defold trying to make some kind of really basic nova explosion, but i don’t know what im doing wrong.

One problem i have is the delay when i play the effect. It should fire off as soon as i click on the screen.

Another problem i have is that the effect is much faster in the particlefx editor than when actually running the game. The game itself also runs way faster than it should, but atleast turning off vsync and set the frame cap to 60 fixed this, but unfortunately this does nothing for the particlefx editor. It’s quite annoying to always have to run the game to see if the effect fits the scene.

I uploaded a little project with only the effect if someone want to look over and eventually fixing it. Just leftclick in the window to play. Thanks

btw. running linux with 144hz monitor

particlenova.zip (64.6 KB)

Not sure about the framerate stuff, sounds like an editor issue. You can sort of get around it using hot reload–just leave the game running and hot reload the particleFX. You could use a timer to play the effect every second or so.

Defold’s particle emitters don’t have an “instant burst” option. The effect does start as soon as you click, but it’s only spawning 1 particle per second, so it will wait for 1 second and then spawn 1 particle. If you set the spawn rate to 100 you can see that it starts immediately.

The way to get an instant burst effect is to use a very low duration and a very high spawn rate. Usually I do a duration of 0.01 and a spawn rate of 100x the number of particles I want. So if you set your duration to 0.01 and your spawn rate to 100, it will behave the way you want.

3 Likes

If you want to have many particles spawned at the moment of a start you can play with “Start offset” property of emitter, so for example if you would normally have spawned 500 Particles after 0.5 sec, let’s change the Start offset to 0.5 and you would start with 500 particles created immediately at the start :wink:

2 Likes

thanks to both of you, 0.01 and 100 works great :smiley:

Main problem solved .

1 Like