Nakama / Colyseus Switch support

I’m considering options for a potential game and want to be able to support cross-play on Nintendo Switch.

Do the Colyseus or Nakama libraries have support for Switch? I see that all targets are listed on each pages Platforms section, but they are lacking mention of Switch. Not sure if that was just an oversight or if they truly don’t support that target.

I don’t know if Playfab fits your needs, but it is available also on Switch. However Nintendo has some strict rules about online game features and their implementation you should be aware of. Playfab has some Nintendo Switch dedicated API, so I think it should be a viable solution.

Hope this help somehow. Ciao!

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have any links that provide insight as to what Nintendo does / does not allow for online game features? It’ll definitely help me out in selecting a service.

Probably you should be an official nintendo developer to know the details. However, I have no resource to share, I am sorry…

No worries. If anyone can fill me in on Nakama or Colyseus, please let me know.

Looking at their repos, it looks like both of these are just Lua libraries? Didn’t see any native code during my quick look.

Given they are just Lua, and communicating with APIs over HTTP and/or websockets, the odds seem good that it could work on Switch unless Nintendo has some policies against it.

I’d suggest filing issues on the two Github repos asking about Switch support.

1 Like

Nakama uses http and websockets and Colyseus uses only websockets. Both of these are supported with Nintendo Switch.

2 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation. I’ll move forward with planning then.
Just want to say thanks again for all of your hard work on Defold. I’m really looking forward to the future and plan to contribute to the project!

2 Likes