Mouse clicks through Defold Editor on Linux onto Window Below (SOLVED)

A long-standing bug (several versions) that prevents me from using Defold (the editor) is that on linux (elementaryOS which is Ubuntu 18.04), my mouse clicks through the UI onto whatever is below it, but only for some UI elements. This makes it quite literally impossible to even open a project.

Here’s a screencast of me trying to click on a tab in the editor, and my click registering in my browser (below the editor window) instead of in the editor: https://vod-edge.turbo.run/turkey3.mp4 (5MB)

Please look into this, I want to start to use this engine ^^. Happy to provide any further info you need.

1 Like

Im using Ubuntu 18.04 too. using the Lubuntu Desktop. I don’t have this UI Probem.
I have a Nvidia mobile Graphic chip Geforce 320m with propietary driver.
Defold is working well.

1 Like

More info on OS and drivers:

(base) ➜  Defold uname -a
Linux dalek 4.15.0-76-generic #86-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 17 17:24:28 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
(base) ➜  Defold nvidia-smi 
Fri Feb 14 22:24:35 2020       
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 390.132                Driver Version: 390.132                   |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce MX150       Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   42C    P0    N/A /  N/A |    687MiB /  2002MiB |      0%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

I have verified that this is an issue on elementary OS. Sadly, I have not found any clue as to what the error might be and we have little time to spend on issues that are not related to the systems we officially support which are Windows, mac OS and Ubuntu.
My advice is as a work around to try a different desktop environment than Pantheon because that is the main difference between elementary and vanilla Ubuntu.

5 Likes

One of the possible workarounds for this is to launch Defold like this:
$ GTK_CSD=0 ./Defold

It works for me. After that Defold obtains window title and works just fine.

Unity has problems on Elementary, too, I found this workaround for Unity on one of their forums.

5 Likes

That’s amazing if it works! Thanks! I switched distros altogether in the meantime. So FWIW, I can report that this bug does not occur on Linux Mint.

Great! I’ve added this to our Linux FAQ!

1 Like

This makes it possible to open the editor, however it is not possible to open some external windows as a file browser :cry:

I can most of the times write the path manually, but this is not very convenient.

Also, when I try to open an external window, by clicking on any […] button, the output

(java:31308): Gtk-WARNING **: ... : gtk_window_set_titlebar() called on a realized window

elementary OS 5.1.5 Hera
Defold v1.2.169 (dbe990e13ea39427493928b2aa11d0676b82e038)