Game not closing on some computers

It seems that

msg.post("@system:", "exit", {code = 0})

It is possible for the engine process to not actually close fully like it should. Release builds. This is something some testers have reported about a game we are releasing soon.

Sample computer: Windows 7 x64; AMD Phenom II X4; 8GB memory; nVidia GTX 1050.

This user says it consistently does not close properly when he clicks the in game exit button, where we use the @system exit call. Apparently pressing the window X keeps the process running too…

What can we do about this? I assume os.exit() is the wrong idea, would it ensure closure of the engine process.

1 Like

Yes, os.exit() is not a good idea, since we need to shut down a few things. We’ve had a few issues with this on Android in particular.

In your case, it’s difficult to reason about, since it hangs and we don’t have a callstack.
Can your testers perhaps attach to the process with MSVC or WinDbg and break into the execution?
Then they should be able to give us a callstack, and you can also save a dump file which we can debug with.

2 Likes

Luckily this guy is also a developer so that should be reasonable to ask him to do.

2 Likes

Okay - two attempts to connect to the process after I had exited and it was still hanging around in Steam and Task manager. In both cases, the connection from WinDbg seemed to kill it, it ended itself before WinDbg could make the connection. Have to go off to the day job now, will try again starting the executable from inside WInDbg when I get back.

Will update as I get more info.

Another user report

I exited, played some of another game and went to go back to this one and it said it was running even though I exited the game.

System info from this user: OS is W7 64 bit Video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Two Windows 7 users so far, there have been other user report but I didn’t get system info from them yet.