File Extensions

Quick question that’s been bugging me for a while now. Is there a way, in the editor, to create a file with a custom extension? For example, a .json file.

I’ve looked around and searched the forums, but I can’t find anything. Using the “wizard” dialog just says extensions are invalid, so it seems that either creating them out of the editor or creating something unrelated and renaming it are the only two ways to do this?

Thanks.

Ah, no, but there probably should be. @Erik_Angelin, @Ragnar_Svensson and @Ragnar_Dahlen, is this something that has been discussed for the new editor?

1 Like

Create a .script file first, then rename it and give it a new extension.

dont forget to add the correct “editor” for the extension as well! you can do that by right clicking the item or in the settings tab, otherwise you will open the custom file in the default OS’s application for it! :slight_smile:

Yea, that works, but I would have liked a plain New File option to create an empty file with whatever extension I chose myself.

1 Like

another thing, is it possible to remove the feature of forcing formats to use the default extension? like tp create a tilemap/gui/whatever with whatever extension we would like to use? i actually think its a bit annoying, but i see how its good for maintening the defaults and good practices over the community~ o.o

@britzl I added an issue for it. @KitStainedHeart the extension defines the format of the file and is used by the pipeline and other things.

1 Like