function load_ad_unit(ad_unit_id)
	print("loading ad unit...")
	fbinstant.load_interstitial_ad(
		ad_unit_id,
		function(self, success)
			if success then
				print("Ad unit successfully loaded ")
			else
				print("Ad unit doesn't loaded ", ad_unit_id)
			end
		end
	)
end

-- Show ad unit
function show_ad_unit(ad_unit_id)
	fbinstant.show_interstitial_ad(
		ad_unit_id,
		function(self, success)
			if success then
				print("Ad unit successfully opened ", ad_unit_id)
			else
				print("Ad unit doesn't opened ", ad_unit_id)
			end
		end
	)
end

function on_message(self, message_id, message, sender)
	if message_id == hash("NEW_GAME") then
		load_ad_unit("<ad_unit_id>")
	elseif message_id == hash("ON_PRESS") then
		show_ad_unit("<ad_unit_id>")
	end
end

But this only works once at the beginning of the game when I press a button. For the second time it doesn’t work. So I tired to load the ad unit again and it throws ADS_TOO_MANY_INSTANCES.

Thanks

According to the best practices for ads:

Don’t hold on to too many AdInstances: Both methods getRewardedVideoAsync or getInterstitialAdAsync return an AdInstance which can be preloaded. Preloading 3 or more AdInstances without showing them will cause subsequent attempts of creating a new AdInstance to fail. This means that calls to getRewardedVideoAsync and getInterstitialAdAsync will start to fail with error code ADS_TOO_MANY_INSTANCES until showAsync is called or until the player restarts Messenger.

There could potentially be a bug in the extension code as well. This is where references to ad instances are kept and removed:

And this is where they are loaded and shown:

1 Like

Hi Britzl,

Thanks for your response,

Yes, I already checked those library files including JS and CPP and I can see there are only 4 module methods for the Ads in fninstalt.cpp:1564.

Those are not relevant to get an ad instant. Still, I couldn’t find a solution for this, at least how to get the instant of a loaded Ad in Lua script and show it instead of trying to load it again. I just need to show this loaded ad several times.

Below are errors that occur in most situations,

> FBInstant_PlatformShowInterstitialAdAsync - unable to find ad. Did you load it?
> FBInstant_PlatformLoadInterstitialAdAsync - error a {code: "ADS_NO_FILL", message: "No fill"}
> FBInstant_PlatformLoadInterstitialAdAsync - error a {code: "ADS_TOO_MANY_INSTANCES", message: "Too many ad instances"}

Can you please provide an example Lua snippet?

Thanks

Yes they are. The load_interstitial_ad() will call into the javascript code to get an ad instance and keep a reference to it in the javascript part of the extension. When you call show_interstitial_ad() it will take one of the loaded interstitial ads and show it (and then throw away the reference to it so that it gets garbage collected).

I don’t think that’s how it works. You can only show a loaded ad instance once. When it has been shown you need to load a new one. Please correct me if I’m wrong!

2 Likes

Well, it’s clear now. One last thing, is there any way that I can catch the error and handle it? So I can check the error code and load ad new ad if ad instant not exists.

The reason here is, I’m showing the ad when a player presses a button. So a player can be press the button too many times. Every time when he press the button the Ad should be shown. So I changed my show_ad_unit function as below. Now it’s loads a new Ad after success.

-- Show ad unit
function show_ad_unit(ad_unit_id)
	fbinstant.show_interstitial_ad(
		ad_unit_id,
		function(self, success)
			if success then
				print("Ad unit successfully opened ", ad_unit_id)

-- * I put this here because `show_interstitial_ad`
                -- handles removing the ad instance
				load_ad_unit(ad_unit_id)
			else
				print("Ad unit doesn't opened ", ad_unit_id)
			end
		end
	)
end

This also not working. I keep getting these errors,

> FBInstant_PlatformLoadInterstitialAdAsync - error a {code: "ADS_NO_FILL", message: "No fill"}
> FBInstant_PlatformLoadInterstitialAdAsync - error a {code: "ADS_TOO_MANY_INSTANCES", message: "Too many ad instances"}
  1. And is there any issue with that I keep using one placement ID for this?
  2. Can I listen to the on-close event of an Ad? (To load a new one)
  3. Is there any way that I can catch errors thrown by the fbinstant module?
  4. Or is there a bug on this extension?

No, that shouldn’t be a problem as far as I can tell.

Is there a close event? Check the official SDK docs and if there is then sure, we should be able to add it to the extension as well.

The callback function has a success boolean indicating if it went well or not. There is no higher granularity at this point.

Maybe, please create an Issue in the extension and I’ll investigate.

1 Like

Ads only work for me when I precede each load interstitial function with a get interstitial ad function. Is that how it should be or should we get only once on init then load several times with the same id returned from get?

You need to get, load and show every time you wish to show an ad.

1 Like