Editor or bundle

Is there a way to detect in code if the game is launched from the editor via CMD+B or it is running from a bundle?

Not really.

Perhaps if you give us some more context on what you want to do, we can provide a suggestion?

EDIT: Ofc, during bundling, it’s often the case that one uses an extra set of project settings, and you can ofc detect this using sys.get_config()

1 Like

thanks Mathias!

I am trying to load the fmod audio banks. As suggested here: https://github.com/dapetcu21/defold-fmod they should be put in bundled resources. But in this way I am not able to load them when launching with CMD + B. Perhaps I am missing something…

And you’ve done this step?
Running in the editor

1 Like

Yes, fmod is running and eveything worked fine before I tried to load the Banks from bundle resources. It works in a bundle but not via the editor.

@dapetcu21 Hey Marius, could you perhaps help me on this…

EDIT: This is what I am doing

local bundle_path = sys.get_application_path()
local path_to_banks = bundle_path .. "/common/audio/banks"
fmod.studio.system:load_bank_file(path_to_banks .. "/Master Bank.bank", fmod.STUDIO_LOAD_BANK_NORMAL)
fmod.studio.system:load_bank_file(path_to_banks .. "/Master Bank.strings.bank", fmod.STUDIO_LOAD_BANK_NORMAL)

Oh yeah. That’s not gonna work in the editor, since the game is not bundled yet, so bundled resources don’t exist. The way we currently handle this in our games is that we add the banks to custom_resources, load them from there with load_bank_memory() when running in editor, and before bundling, our build script removes them from custom_resources and moves them to bundled resources and the bundled version of the game loads them with load_bank_file()

3 Likes

I see…

But then how you manage this in code? I mean, the code should be different to load from custom_resources with load_bank_memory or from bundled resources via load_bank_file

local system_name = sys_config.system_name

if
      env.bundled and not env.banks_from_resources and system_name ~= "HTML5"
    then
      local bank_path
      if system_name == "Darwin" then
        bank_path = sys_config.bundle_root_path .. "/Contents/Resources/banks/" .. path
      elseif system_name == "Android" then
        bank_path = "file:///android_asset/banks/" .. path
      else
        local sep = sys_config.path_sep
        bank_path = sys_config.bundle_root_path
        if bank_path:sub(#bank_path) ~= sep then -- If the path doesn't end with a "/", add it (happens on Switch)
          bank_path = bank_path .. sep
        end
        bank_path = bank_path .. "banks" .. sep .. path
      end
      bank = fmod.studio.system:load_bank_file(bank_path, fmod.STUDIO_LOAD_BANK_NORMAL)
    else
      local resource = resource.load("/sound/banks/" .. path)
      bank = fmod.studio.system:load_bank_memory(resource, fmod.STUDIO_LOAD_BANK_NORMAL)
    end

And a few vars for context:

local sys_info = sys.get_sys_info()
sys_config.system_name = sys_info.system_name
sys_config.path_sep = system_name == "Windows" and "\\" or "/"
sys_config.bundle_root_path = sys.get_application_path()

As for how you determine if the game is bundled or not, we use a custom system (env.bundled), but you could add a property to game.project or use a --properties file when calling Bob, since you have to modify game.project anyway to remove the banks from custom_resources, then read it with sys.get_config().

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

Yes, the config key with a --properties file is a simple solution that should be fine for us!

1 Like