Editor keeps crashing

I’ve copyed builtin “sprite.material”, to perform some changes (add DIFFUSE_TEXTURE sampler with clamp-to-edge wrapping mode, to achieve sharp player image, while it’s scaled up) and assigned this material to player sprite in “War battles tutorial” project. Now, once i open editor, open main.collection and click on player object, my editor crashes.

Project folder: War battles tutorial.zip (2.2 MB)

Some crash logs:
Defold.zip (28.9 KB)

Using Defold editor 2.0, v. 1.2.137, on win 10 x64

It may be important, to not perform any actions, after editor startup - just open main collection and click on player object, otherwise problem may not be reproduced.

Also, after building game, i can’t anymore see player sprite, but i can see it, when using default material.

Added:
Tested with atio6axx.dll v. 24.20.15017.5001 , and, after updating AMD drivers - atio6axx.dll v. 24.20.13019.1008 (yes, version decreased after update) - same crash.
However, seems, like it’s related somehow to Java and AMD drivers. And lasts since 2013 at least.

1 Like

Hi @corunethron! Thanks for the logs and your detective work :slight_smile: Have you found anyone else describing the problem? Links?

Downgrading AMD driver to “stable” 18.5.1 from current 18.9.3 seems to fix the issue. Can’t reproduce the crash anymore.

Also, if someone can help, please check what is wrong with sprite-sharp.material within attached archive - i still can see player sprite within editor, but unable to see not within debug build nor within bundled release. sprite-sharp.material is just a copy of sprite.material with added DIFFUSE_TEXTURE sampler.

Added:
@Erik_Angelin , i’ve searched something like “atio6axx.dll exception_access_violation -minecraft” in google. There are a lot of minecraft (which is java based) related reports, so i filtered them out, but still it seems to be frequent issue in other apps. And first reports dated even 2012.
Following some of recommendations, i’ve memtested ram, but it’s OK.
Some reporters end up with just fixing their OpenGL api calls, or disabling shaders, but most fixes was to update/downgrade ATI/AMD drivers.

Finally found, what is wrong with my copy of sprite.material
Tags field was empty. I thought, that this field does not affect render logic.

2 Likes