Editor Extensions wishlist

Post here what extensions you hope will eventually be made by someone once Editor 2 has extension support for its own editor.

Some I want

• Visual scripting editor like playmaker / bolt / blueprints
  • 3d mesh generation/editing in viewport, something like sabrecsg / probuilder
  • A visual shader editor like shader forge
10 Likes
  • Improved tilemap editor. Although I’m hoping that we’re able to improve on the built in tilemap editor way before editor extensions are released. I want auto-tiling and a way to easily add metadata to tilemaps.
  • A timeline tool would be cool to create as well.

Otherwise I’d probably use editor extensions to perhaps ship improvements to my existing extensions and libraries. Maybe a visual editor for Monarch where you can easily hook up screens and transitions.

Another use case would be editor extensions custom made for your projects. Like a custom map/level editor. Or editor for enemies or attack patterns. But all that aren’t really reusable.

7 Likes

A camera pan/zoom timeline would be useful. Curves for paths, draw a rectangle for the view area, have controllers in the timeline for controlling easing. Attach events with a callback function when camera reaches nodes. Would be productive tool for visual novels, cutscenes, picture books.

3 Likes

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I couldn’t see any updates on this on my brief search through the forums. Could we get a status update on how extension support is coming along? I thought I read somewhere (I could be lying but I thought I saw another forum post say it) mention that it was targeted for the end of 2018. I can’t seem to find any documentation for creating your own panel in the Editor, so am I right in assuming this isn’t a thing yet?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m afraid this is true. What we have is editor scripts which can be used to automate some things, add menu options and hook into project lifecycle functions (pre-build, post-build etc).

1 Like

All good. I wanted to take a stab at making something like Bolt/Playmaker for this. I think that kind of Visual Scripting language appeals to a lot of people who don’t want to touch proper source code and could possibly help grow the community around defold. Ah well, c’est la vie.

1 Like

You could still give it a try, but it would have to be an official feature. Since this topic was originally created the source has become available so anyone can implement the wishlist features now.

https://github.com/defold/defold/tree/editor-dev/editor

4 Likes

The most annoying thing about the editor is that when I search…

It shows the blue properties at the top and the actual information that I want nearly 100% of the time… ie… the sources that are displayed after so I have to scroll past the blue text.

Not an extension as such… just and improvement would be to swap or allow me to swap this behaviour.

Is that possible with editor scripts ?

Attach events with a callback function when camera reaches nodes. Would be productive tool for visual novels, cutscenes, picture books.