Defold Screen Manager

Hi all,

Defold Screen Mananger (dscreen) provides a game state management system in a Defold game engine project. I have always had problems with the existing screen managers in the Asset Portal causing flickering black frames when loading and unloading screens. I understand why this happens, but it’s not something easily fixable. I was also looking through the implementation of a few of the existing screen managers and found that they all seem to be implemented very similarly.

I decided to create a screen manager that avoids the flicker problem and is implemented in my own style. It is quite minimalistic at the moment, and the code is simple and consolidated. I will continue to update it with new features as I need them (or as they’re requested).

Happy Defolding!

17 Likes

Yeah, I tried to create a GUI that has a black cover on, that is faded away after a moment, but the flicker in the beginning is visible regardless (and imagine all GUI are covered, so whenever I want to change something I need to move that node so I can see the rest :confused:), so it’s one of my biggest problems too! I decided to leave it for now, but as you made such asset, I will now check it out!

Thank you so much! :heart:

1 Like

This is definitely something that can be solved in Monarch as well. I don’t recall exactly why I did it that way though. If you open an issue in the Monarch repo I’d be happy to check it out.

1 Like

Thank you @britzl!

(Don’t mind the hero/camera change in the beginning (I am setting go position to the start position of the level and camera follows it))

1 Like