Defold cannot open (Solved)

Hi,

For some reasons, my defold has not working and I have this error message pop up. I also have tried to update the new version of defold, but that does not solve it.

I have received this error message, but I don’t really understand what that means. Can anyone help please?

Are you opening an existing project or a blank project?

I have tried both, but both cannot be opened and tell the same message

Edit: I have tried to restart my pc, reinstall the software, update it but all still cannot work and I have no idea why.

Can you share information about your OS version and hardware? That looks like Windows 11, I’m using Win11 right now and it works for me so that can be ruled out.

Are you using the version on Steam or direct download?

Does the file path you are opening projects at have any special characters? Could you test putting both a copy of Defold and a project at the root of a drive like C:/defold/ C:/defold_projects/ and see if that works?

Are you putting any special characters in the project names?

@mats.gisselson Error seems to be this? What could cause it? https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/master/src/jvm/clojure/lang/EdnReader.java#L201

static boolean nonConstituent(int ch){
	return ch == '@' || ch == '`' || ch == '~';
}

@Huy_Nguyen You do not have any of these characters in your project names?

Edit: I tested creating a project with those characters as the name and it works so the project name is probably not the cause of it either.

@Huy_Nguyen can you zip and upload the latest log in C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Defold

1 Like

@Pkeod
Hi, I use Windows 11, and I download defold from https://d.defold.com/stable and I download the version 1.3.0

I haven’t tried it. I’m not at home right now, when I came home, I will test it out and if it still does not work, I will upload the zip file of it.

Anyway, thank you so much for your kind help! I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Hi, I’m back

So I have tried this, but unfortunately it’s still not work.

Here’s my defold zip file. Can you check that for me please?

Thank you so much!

I can see logs from a few days. Was Defold editor working at first and then stopped working? Here’s the full error in the newest log

2022-05-26 19:15:17.050 63617 [clojure-agent-send-off-pool-0] ERROR editor.dialogs - {:line 426}
java.lang.RuntimeException: Invalid constituent character: @
	at clojure.lang.Util.runtimeException(Util.java:221)
	at clojure.lang.EdnReader.readToken(EdnReader.java:201)
	at clojure.lang.EdnReader.read(EdnReader.java:168)
	at clojure.lang.EdnReader.read(EdnReader.java:111)
	at clojure.lang.EdnReader.readString(EdnReader.java:67)
	at clojure.edn$read_string.invokeStatic(edn.clj:46)
	at clojure.edn$read_string.invokeStatic(edn.clj:37)
	at editor.app_view$open_custom_keymap.invokeStatic(app_view.clj:1572)
	at editor.app_view$make_app_view.invokeStatic(app_view.clj:1592)
	at editor.boot_open_project$load_stage.invokeStatic(boot_open_project.clj:181)
	at editor.boot_open_project$open_project$fn__87771.invoke(boot_open_project.clj:407)
	at editor.ui$do_run_now$fn__13134.invoke(ui.clj:322)
	at clojure.lang.AFn.run(AFn.java:22)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:457)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$11(PlatformImpl.java:456)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._enterNestedEventLoopImpl(Native Method)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._enterNestedEventLoop(WinApplication.java:211)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.Application.enterNestedEventLoop(Application.java:515)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.EventLoop.enter(EventLoop.java:107)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.enterNestedEventLoop(QuantumToolkit.java:631)
	at javafx.application.Platform.enterNestedEventLoop(Platform.java:301)
	at editor.fxui$mount_renderer_and_await_result_BANG_.invokeStatic(fxui.clj:230)
	at editor.dialogs$make_load_project_dialog$fn__25502.invoke(dialogs.clj:416)
	at editor.ui$do_run_now.invokeStatic(ui.clj:317)
	at editor.dialogs$make_load_project_dialog.invokeStatic(dialogs.clj:415)
	at editor.boot$open_project_with_progress_dialog.invokeStatic(boot.clj:55)
	at editor.boot$select_project_from_welcome$fn__88209$fn__88210.invoke(boot.clj:76)
	at editor.welcome$show_welcome_dialog_BANG_$close_dialog_and_open_project_BANG___84816.invoke(welcome.clj:611)
	at editor.welcome$show_open_from_disk_dialog_BANG_.invokeStatic(welcome.clj:333)
	at editor.welcome$show_open_from_disk_dialog_BANG_.invoke(welcome.clj:323)
	at clojure.core$partial$fn__5826.invoke(core.clj:2631)
	at editor.ui$fn$reify__13593.handle(ui.clj:862)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:86)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:234)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:56)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:56)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:74)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:49)
	at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:198)
	at javafx.scene.Node.fireEvent(Node.java:8797)
	at javafx.scene.control.Button.fire(Button.java:203)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.behavior.ButtonBehavior.mouseReleased(ButtonBehavior.java:208)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.inputmap.InputMap.handle(InputMap.java:274)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler$NormalEventHandlerRecord.handleBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:247)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:80)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:234)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:54)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.process(Scene.java:3881)
	at javafx.scene.Scene.processMouseEvent(Scene.java:1874)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$ScenePeerListener.mouseEvent(Scene.java:2607)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:411)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:301)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.lambda$handleMouseEvent$2(GlassViewEventHandler.java:450)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.runWithoutRenderLock(QuantumToolkit.java:424)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.handleMouseEvent(GlassViewEventHandler.java:449)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.View.handleMouseEvent(View.java:551)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.View.notifyMouse(View.java:937)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$runLoop$3(WinApplication.java:184)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
2022-05-26 19:15:17.099 63666 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR editor.error-reporting - {:line 112}
java.lang.RuntimeException: Invalid constituent character: @
	at clojure.lang.Util.runtimeException(Util.java:221)
	at clojure.lang.EdnReader.readToken(EdnReader.java:201)
	at clojure.lang.EdnReader.read(EdnReader.java:168)
	at clojure.lang.EdnReader.read(EdnReader.java:111)
	at clojure.lang.EdnReader.readString(EdnReader.java:67)
	at clojure.edn$read_string.invokeStatic(edn.clj:46)
	at clojure.edn$read_string.invokeStatic(edn.clj:37)
	at editor.app_view$open_custom_keymap.invokeStatic(app_view.clj:1572)
	at editor.app_view$make_app_view.invokeStatic(app_view.clj:1592)
	at editor.boot_open_project$load_stage.invokeStatic(boot_open_project.clj:181)
	at editor.boot_open_project$open_project$fn__87771.invoke(boot_open_project.clj:407)
	at editor.ui$do_run_now$fn__13134.invoke(ui.clj:322)
	at clojure.lang.AFn.run(AFn.java:22)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:457)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$11(PlatformImpl.java:456)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._enterNestedEventLoopImpl(Native Method)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._enterNestedEventLoop(WinApplication.java:211)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.Application.enterNestedEventLoop(Application.java:515)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.EventLoop.enter(EventLoop.java:107)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.enterNestedEventLoop(QuantumToolkit.java:631)
	at javafx.application.Platform.enterNestedEventLoop(Platform.java:301)
	at editor.fxui$mount_renderer_and_await_result_BANG_.invokeStatic(fxui.clj:230)
	at editor.dialogs$make_load_project_dialog$fn__25502.invoke(dialogs.clj:416)
	at editor.ui$do_run_now.invokeStatic(ui.clj:317)
	at editor.dialogs$make_load_project_dialog.invokeStatic(dialogs.clj:415)
	at editor.boot$open_project_with_progress_dialog.invokeStatic(boot.clj:55)
	at editor.boot$select_project_from_welcome$fn__88209$fn__88210.invoke(boot.clj:76)
	at editor.welcome$show_welcome_dialog_BANG_$close_dialog_and_open_project_BANG___84816.invoke(welcome.clj:611)
	at editor.welcome$show_open_from_disk_dialog_BANG_.invokeStatic(welcome.clj:333)
	at editor.welcome$show_open_from_disk_dialog_BANG_.invoke(welcome.clj:323)
	at clojure.core$partial$fn__5826.invoke(core.clj:2631)
	at editor.ui$fn$reify__13593.handle(ui.clj:862)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:86)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:49)
	at javafx.scene.Node.fireEvent(Node.java:8797)
	at javafx.scene.control.Button.fire(Button.java:203)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.behavior.ButtonBehavior.mouseReleased(ButtonBehavior.java:208)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.inputmap.InputMap.handle(InputMap.java:274)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler$NormalEventHandlerRecord.handleBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:247)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:80)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:54)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.process(Scene.java:3881)
	at javafx.scene.Scene.processMouseEvent(Scene.java:1874)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$ScenePeerListener.mouseEvent(Scene.java:2607)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:411)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:301)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.lambda$handleMouseEvent$2(GlassViewEventHandler.java:450)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.runWithoutRenderLock(QuantumToolkit.java:424)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.handleMouseEvent(GlassViewEventHandler.java:449)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.View.handleMouseEvent(View.java:551)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.View.notifyMouse(View.java:937)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$runLoop$3(WinApplication.java:184)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

@Huy_Nguyen If Defold did work before please try deleting the folder C:\Users\HP\AppData\Local\Defold\ and then download the most recent stable version of Defold which currently is Release v1.3.2 - stable · defold/defold · GitHub

Yes, it’s just recently, when I was trying to use VSCode and Defold so I do some configuration.
I have updated to defold version 1.3.2 before, but there is some problem with platypus as when I moved the window, it started to behave weird, so I moved back to version 1.3.0 and it behave normal again. That’s why 'till now I’m still using the old version of defold.

But sure, I will try the most recent stable version to see if it works and I will tell you again

You should make an issue on its GitHub page if it is having issues with the most recent version.

Possibly this is what caused some kind of issue. Hopefully clearing out the temp data can fix it.

1 Like

If not, please share the most recent editor log:

1 Like

Hi, it’s me again.

Unfortunately, I’ve done so, but the problem is still there.

I also download the newest stable version of Defold, but seems like the issue is not from there.

Here is my latest editor log. Can you check it out?
Defold.zip (227.8 KB)

The editor log mentions that it is trying to open a custom keymap. It is possible to configure a custom keymap from the Preferences window. Do you recall if perhaps you are using a custom keymap or if you have something entered into that field of the preferences window?

Actually yes, that day I try to use VSCode as an IDE for Defold so I try to configure on the preference window. I think this is the one that cause the issue. But right now, I can 't do anything after open the Defold window, so is there a way to reset it?

Ok, so we need to figure out where the preferences are stored. It’s somewhere in AppData in your home folder.

@vlaaad, do you know?

1 Like

On Windows, the preferences are stored in the registry (open by typing regedit in the Start panel).

Then, you’ll need to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\defold. I think you should be able to locate the path to the keymap there and fix the error? Presumably, there is an extra @ character there that causes the issue.

2 Likes

Here is an issue, and the fix is on its way.

5 Likes

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! IT’S FINALLY WORK!!!

I just want to say for me, Defold is the one that fit me the most! I have come to various game engines, but none can suit me more than Defold! That’s why when it’s fixed the issues it brings me so much joy!

Thank you again Defold Team and the Defold community! You guys are truly awesome!

4 Likes