Code changes not reflected in builds

I fired up my computer and editor just now and started working on some changes. I changed my main startup code to load a proxy to a collection I’m working on so it would load it - which had been working fine previously. I hit build to html5 (because builds won’t run on my linux 64 bit machine, but html5 works great), and my change wasn’t reflected. I changed a message I put in for debug purposes at the init method of my startup collection, hit build, and that change wasn’t reflected either - the message was the old one still.

I don’t know what to do to fix this. I’ve deleted the build folder contents to see if that was it, but alas that didn’t change anything. so right now my code is updated but all the builds seem to use code from yesterday.

Editor stats:
Version 1.2.92
Java 1.8.0_05

Any help would be great, I’ve been making great progress lately and hitting road bumps like this is not good.

I was trying things and I did something that might have worked. I deleted the build directory again, and hit “fetch libraries” from the build menu. I did a build and it ran this time.

Strange, but at least I can work now. Any input as to why this would happen would help others resolve it in the future.

Strange. Do you actually have a any project dependencies, or did you just try “Fetch Libraries” as a last resort? Deleting the whole build folder should force a full rebuild of the project, similar to “Rebuild and Launch”.

What kind of issues do you have with building and running a Linux 64 bit app? Is there something we can help you with?

The only dependency I have is the dirtylarry GUI library. It was strange but at least I can continue to rip through code. I’m very happy with Defold so far.

With linux 64, it just crashes. A window pops up and then it dies. I can get a crashfile to you, but I’m not going to be targeting Linux, I just run it on my laptop.

1 Like

We would very much appreciate a crash file so we can take a look. It sounds awkward that you have to build to HTML5 to test your game.

How would I get you the crash?

It’s a bit, but I’ve been developing on various platforms for the past 20 years, so I just roll with it. Let’s put it this way, I’ve worked with WAY worse workflows than the html 5 build process I’m doing now.

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, please check “Linux Problems” in the FAQ in case you have missing dependencies or the like. Do you get any output in the Editor Console when the engine crashes? Like this?

Is there any chance that you might have started Defold-linux.sh as root (using sudo?) at some point? In that case the library directories would be there, but inaccessible when running as a normal user.

I’m getting the same error that @Ragnar_Svensson linked to. I’ll add my notes to that thread, or if there’s a way to comment on the bug report I can do that as well.

@jakob.pogulis I wasn’t starting the script as root, just my normal user.

1 Like

I’m running into this error again, but the update libraries trick didn’t work. Running on 1.2.94 this time. It only affects one gui though, which is strange. One thing I did change is I removed a project dependency to dirtylarry. I copied the files into my project so I could extend dirtylarry, so I didn’t need the dependency to the github version. A GUI appears before the one that doesn’t update, and it uses dirtylarry elements; the second GUI does also but doesn’t update from when I change it.

Also, some updates to the running on linux64 issue, I AM able to build and run my game now, after I added Defold to my gnome menu for development (I was tired of going to the command line). It builds, runs, but I get no input.

I’m updating to 1.2.96 for giggles, I’ll keep you apprised.

Nothing I have tried works. It appears to not reflect any code changes past my first UI. I’m pretty much dead in the water now.

What if you remove the .internal folder and do Project->Fetch Libraries again?

I tried that, and it didn’t affect the issue. I removed .internal, and the build folders at the same time. No go.

Strange. All I can think of now is to try with a new version of Defold or remove and clone the project again.

This did it. I had to blow away the entire project and clone it from git again. Kind of a pain but at least it’s working now.

I wonder if it has to do something with the dependencies.

Strange indeed. Let us know if it happens again.

It’s happening again. This is extremely frustrating.

I don’t know what to do at this point. I suppose using the v2 of the editor may make this go away, but at this point, Defold is not working at all for me.

We managed to solve this on Slack tonight. Adding and removing the script file made it accept the change. I wonder if it’s a file system thing?

1 Like

For more information if others are looking at this, I’m running Linux, Ubuntu 16.04.