BLOCKER: GUI nodes randomly become invisible

This whole story began about two weeks ago in one of our builds.
We don’t see some GUI nodes on different devices, not depend of 32/64-bit OS.
These nodes irregularly disappear completely without errors.
The behavior was such that the nodes are present in the logic (they are correctly picking) but are not displayed.
The presence or absence of nodes is somehow connected with the device - on some devices they are never visible, on some they are always present.

2 Likes

Interesting. We have some problems with random nodes within a guiSpine node disappearing. Cant say if it is the same but it could definitely be related.

In our case this is all time the same nodes (text and box nodes).

1 Like

Yeah, sorry, my bad. I meant same nodes but quite random why these certain nodes.

What engine version are you running? Can you remember when this started occurring (on what version)?

Do the nodes flicker visible/invisible or are they visible/invisible for the entire duration of the game?

1.20.120 as I know, but I am not sure that it depend of engine version (I think @morgerion can provide more info)

They are invisible all the time, but we can tap on them. Looks like they have no textures but they exist.

We planned release on this week, looks like this bug will broke our plans (

Can you provide a repro case and share with us?

Is there anything special with the setup? Does it happen with all types of nodes? Are there any layers and/or layouts in the GUI scene? Are the nodes cloned?

Do you get any errors in the log on the device?

Also, is it confirmed it is working with 1.2.119?

1 Like

As I know @morgerion shared the project. I think you can ask @Erik_Angelin

As I know, no. It depends what do you mean.

In our case it reproduced only with box and text nodes.

Yes, we use layers but it is different nodes in differen GUI scenes. Right now I try to find some patterns

no.

I am not sure that it depends of version. @morgerion did you check using 1.2.119?

It started after 02/02/2018
It looks like everything was fine in 119

1 Like

But we didn’t check it.

Could you please verify this, and do you have a list of devices the bug appears on?

where I can download editor1 1.2.119?

screenshot in first post

Editor 1:

Editor 2:

Also note that you can download bob.jar from the d.defold.com/stable

Tried building the game locally on macOS, then resized the window a couple of times and the build buttons (green checkmark and red cross) disappears on some changes… Could it have something to do with your rendering setup and/or layouts configurations?

(I’ll send you the video, don’t know if you are happy with it being posted publicly in the forum.)

edit1: Tried it in 119 as well and can reproduce it there as well.

3 Likes

Good news. It seems that we were able to overcome this.
The solution was to set some parent nodes to stretch values instead of zoom.
We need time for a thorough test, we’ll report the results soon.

3 Likes

Continued to investigate this as well, also saw that there was something fishy going on with the combination of adjust modes. Will try to look into this tomorrow!

7 Likes

About zoom and missing nodes - in the order of the facts.
Project dimension:
1400 * 960, the ratio is 1 : 0.685

Two tested resolutions:
1750 * 1195, the ratio is 1: 0.682 (there are nodes)
1758 * 1195, the ratio is 1: 0.679 (the nodes are gone)

Calculate the zoom factor for them:
1750 * 1195 zoom factor = max (1750 / 1400,1195 / 960) = (1.25,1.244) = 1.25
1758 * 1195 zoom factor = max (1758 / 1400,1195 / 960) = (1.255,1.244) = 1.255

Summarizing - at a value of 1.25 nodes are present, at a value of 1.255 disappear.
The difference between the values is 0.005
The question is how such a small value can provoke a node shift of 500 pixels (or more)?