Attempts at 3d: a virtual museum - now calling for testers (closed)

Having asked so many questions recently about 3d stuff, I’d like to show you what I am working on:
it’s a virtual museum for my husband’s work because he deserves one :grinning:.
Here is a quick flythrough, about a 3rd of the whole model.

This prototype will need a lot more work. Proper studio photos of the paintings, nicer textures etc.
These I will tackle once I am really confident that my stair climbing works without fail. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I am impressed how easily the engine handles a very, very large model like this and how small the build sizes are with a bit of tweaking.
Although tricky at times, building this place is a lot of fun. Try your hands at 3d and Defold as well!
Now, if you like, please tell me what you think about this attempt.

31 Likes

Very inspiring! I think it is a wonderful gift for your husband. I even thought it’s a copy of the museum from the real life at first, so beautiful.

6 Likes

Thank you very much @astrochili! Indeed, I have recreated, in a much simpler form of course, one of my favourite museums, the Neue Pinakothek in Munich. This has gardens and fountains in the inner courtyards, nooks and crannies, but this would have added way too many vertices. And once I have finished this project, I already have an eye on a more complex building. I just like architectural visualizations.

3 Likes

That’s nice, what resolution are you using for the textures?

2 Likes

Hi @masterneme, thank you! All the textures are square and, for the moment, 1024 x 1024.

2 Likes

:clap: :sunglasses:
Amazing!

3 Likes

@Dat_Indie, thank you!
It’s nothing special really. The textures are just full render bakes done in Blender with a bevel shader thrown in.
Code-wise, not much is going on here, just movement really and an animation towards the images once they are clicked on. If I can, everyone can do it :grin: With a lot of help and inspiration from the folks here, of course!

4 Likes

This is really cool! I love the virtual gallery idea. I hope you will share the project source at some point to help more people wanting to do 3D with Defold be able to learn from it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello @Pkeod, thank you!

Course I can, Defold is such a lovely engine and its 3d capabilities should be explored much more, I find.
Also, I couldn’t have done anything without basing it on ideas that I found here on the forum and the projects @Ivan_Lytkin and @aglitchman shared with us. You had a big hand in the camera movement :grinning: and @ross.grams in the ray casting bit. And then there is @MasterMind, @totebo, @dlannan, @Mathias_Westerdahl, @britzl and so many others that helped me out, even if I sometimes can be a pain :wink: My credits page is going to be very long!
At the moment, I am debugging and refactoring. The biggest issue still is to clearly distinguish between click (start animating towards an image) and drag (start rotating). The animation sometimes fires when it shouldn’t. Also, this click/drag arrangement works well for desktop but not for mobile. There, I have a gui that I would like to get rid of.
But once all the bugs are history - I’ll prepare a small sample project.
Before that, brace yourselves, I might come back with one more question or two :grinning:

11 Likes

Congrats @anon95708182. This is looking wonderful!
I do wonder if there is value in building some default chatacter/camera controllers when exporting to Defold. Ie if you add a “player” node with maybe path areas, that this automagically is built into Defold. Would make things kinda interesting :slight_smile:
Great work - is it going to be online (web)?

3 Likes

Hello @dlannan, thank you!

This sounds very interesting indeed, give it a go!

At the moment, the project might be a bit too large, but then, I haven’t done a html build so far. What happens to the project once it is done, I leave this decision to my husband.

1 Like

for sure defold has a promising future! :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

thanks raetia for preview :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

@Flavio_Pereira: Flavio, thank you! Thanks for looking at it and I am glad you like what you saw.

I think so too!

1 Like

Hello all,

I have finished my virtual museum and put it on itch (as an html game).
Now I call for you, my peers to have a look around and tell me what you think. It would be super if some of you would like to take a stroll through the place. The page is on draft, as I don’t want to publish it before testing. So, if you are interested, please pm me (or tell me here) and I’ll give you the link to the page.

1 Like

Link please!

2 Likes

Josh, thank you :partying_face: - just send you the link.

I’d like to check it out, is it only for HTML?

2 Likes

Cool! Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face: Yes, it is html only. Will send the link anyway, have a look if you like, which would be smashing!

Update:

a very, very big thank to @masterneme who found some bugs I must have introduced yesterday and gave me a very detailed and helpful review. I will be removing the errors, small, but annoying and all to do with the backspace key, and upload a new version soon.

3 Likes