Animating the euler.z does not work properly when used in update (DEF-1636) (SOLVED)

I stumbled across a weird behaviour while using rotations.

When i put this simple line in the init-function, the object is rotated smoothly as it should:

go.animate(".", “euler.z”, go.PLAYBACK_LOOP_FORWARD, 360, go.EASING_LINEAR, 2.0)

But as soon as i put the same line into my update-function, the animation stops when reaching 90° instead of going the full circle. I thought it would be canceled and then restarted with each update-call which should cause no such problems. Or am i’m wrong here?

To make things even more strange try this:

• Put the line back into the init-function
  • Put a simple angle = go.get(".",“euler.z”) into your update-function

Now the animation behaves totally crazy. It again stops at 90° but this time the gameobject also flickers around very strangely. I have no explanation why simply reading the euler.z property during update results in breaking the animation.

I’ll now call this a schroedingers rotation. As soon as you look at it, it changes it’s value :wink:

There’s an issue in our backlog for this: DEF-1636

Printing go.get(".", “euler”) will show that there is flipping going on using euler.x and euler.y for certain angles (which I think explains the unexpected results when manipulating only euler.z)

Solved in Defold 1.2.123

@britzl you’re having a good day today!

Yeah, extremely satisfying to to add those (SOLVED) tags to posts! And especially rewarding when it’s that damn pesky euler issue we’ve lived with for quite some time.