Why is Defold called Defold?

I’ve read the origin story of Defold here and still can’t help but to wonder where did Defold get the name Defold? Is it a proper name? A play on a word USA folks don’t quite get? Is the accent emphasis properly DEE-fold or de-FOLD ? This is clearly a question of paramount importance.

7 Likes

We are still finding out what it is, means and how it’s pronounced. No one knows for sure at this point.

7 Likes

I found the Defold

7 Likes

It sounds like Default. So it should be a default engine for people who create games :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, yes, this is of the utmost importance! I can tell you this, at King it’s probably a 50-50 split on the two pronunciations, but both of the creators (Ragnar and Christian) pronounce it the same way. I will not ruin this thread by saying which one Ragnar and Christian prefers :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@sven pronounces Defold with a silent d.

2 Likes

First, last, or both? :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe because the engine has some 3D features, but it’s focused on 2D? Like how you have a paper that’s folded into a 3D shape and then you un-fold it to make it 2D?

6 Likes

How come we don’t have a answer 4 years later :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It will remain a mystery forever!

10 Likes

If nothing else… you get interesting search suggestions :grin: and a mark in Google’s database that you can’t spell default. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes