Which OS do you use?

Hello everyone,

I am interested to know what OS people are using and why for development? I am going to buy a new machine and cant decide what to buy Mac or PC(Windows/Linux).

I am going to develop for IOS and Android so i knew i need either a mac or rent a mac in the cloud, is there any reasons to have an actual mac instead of renting one in the cloud?

Is one of the Defold versions OSX/Windows/Linux more buggfree?

1 Like

I think the Defold devs mostly use Macs so it may be the most favored OS, but that doesn’t mean issues on the others don’t get fixe. I use Windows mostly, and it’s fine. I use Mac and Linux for some work, and the editor on them has been just as fine too.

Traditionally the main reason to use a different OS would be the software available. Defold is available to all major PC platforms. Art, and coding software is also available. Mostly you can find what you need, or close solutions, on each OS, but you’ll still need a way to access each OS to test builds properly, or make builds in some situations as you are aware.

I’d say don’t buy a Mac right now. You can get a VERY good desktop build for a fraction of the price the same build may be available from Apple.

1 Like

I’m using Windows most of time, and Linux for special cases. Here (in Russia) Macs are very expensive, and most of indie devs uses windows/linux.

2 Likes

I’m using mac and macos.

Which OS do you use?

• Windows
  • MacOS
  • Linux

0 voters

1 Like