Welcome to the bikiniverse!

It’s nicely done and I’m impressed that you did all of it with go.animate(). Although, something like that could also be done using Spine/Dragon Bones.

@britzl yes, you’re right. I felt it would be quicker to do it via go.animate, and by the time i realised my mistake, it was already too late.

Another question:

These little lines appear around the outline of certain sprites within the game. I believe that I could fix this by adding a 1 pixel transparent border around all the sprites. Is that true? I have around 80 sprites in the game so I’d really appreciate knowing in advance if it’s likely to help before i start editing them one by one (because I am lazy).

Visual artefacts such as horizontal or vertical lines are caused by texture bleeding and can be fixed by extruding the border pixels of each image that makes up an atlas or tilesource. Defold can do this automatically. Select the root of an atlas and then set Extrude Borders in the properties window to 1 or 2. Read more about this in the 2D Graphics manual.

1 Like

https://forum.defold.com:/uploads/default/original/2X/7/7931db02d2ab06c931437d89665e82688b5f27a6.mov

2 Likes

yo, i love custom easing:

I made the level select screen a bit flashier by making each levelselect button light up in turn:

local easingtable = { 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,0 }
local easinger = (self.level%14)+1
easingtable[easinger] = 1
pprint(easingtable)
local customeasing = vmath.vector(easingtable)
go.animate("#sprite", "tint.w", go.PLAYBACK_LOOP_FORWARD, 5, customeasing, 1)

https://forum.defold.com:/uploads/default/original/2X/0/0174c84f6fba42dbef19cd73f41189cf5344a63d.mov

1 Like

What happens to the old videos when the new videos are uploaded? It seems like I can only get one to work at once.

Hello @88.josh

We are not quite sure, but we’re looking into it…

2 Likes

I have another mini-question. How does colour actually work? I understand that XYZW are RGBA and that 1.0 in lua = 255 in real life. Is that correct, or an over simplification?

Edit:
In fact there is a tool here which gives you the XYZ values for any colour. http://www.colorhexa.com/000033 Very useful.

Edit 2:
I also found a great website on easing with visual examples. http://easings.net/

1 Like

https://forum.defold.com:/uploads/default/original/2X/3/3d742adcf9221ecacfe8279758c9237ba5d9a904.mov

It’s crunch time! And I’ve gotta say, I think the game is looking pretty hot right now. I did all the graphics myself.

1 Like

I agree. It’s looking better and better. Well done!

Agree with @britzl, looking better for each update, good job!

One question, where does the name come from? :slight_smile: Are you worried it might scare of some of your users, or attract the “wrong” group? :stuck_out_tongue:

The story is the two characters (alex and isabel) fall through a strange crack in the world after a storm, and they meet someone who explains that the multiverse isn’t really a multiverse, but a two-part bikiniverse, and it is falling apart, and they need to collect the 124 power donuts in order to reunite the two halves, otherwise the BIKINIVERSE will become undone.

@sven I see what you mean. But I kind of like the weirdness of the name (kind of like goat simulator, shower with your dad, etc.) and how it isn’t what you’d expect. People who like bikinis are likely to click on it, people who think it is “creepy” are also likely to click on it to see what it is. Also, I want to put many funny jokes in.

The explanation of the game on itch might be something like:

Welcome to the bikiniverse. Alex and Isabel move together. Get one of them to the donut, don’t let either of them fall into space. Despite its racy title, this game contains, disappointingly, no nudity.

1 Like

No game videos today, just writing to say that I now have a team member: a lifelong friend whose name is actually alex (no relation to the alex of the game). He did some level design and is now going to do more of the same. By the end of next week we should have the requisite two minutes of game for the competition entry, and I’ll be able to focus the rest of the time I have on making it look and feel great.

Also, I think this might be the music for the game, though I haven’t decided yet. It’s an old song that a friend and I made a video for, which later was selected for the very trendy london short film festival. The video was made by animating coloured cells in open office.

3 Likes

Ha! Awesome!!! And ambitious!

I have a playable demo. Where should i put it? Itch.io?

Yes, until Sticky Iron is released I believe that itch.io is a perfect place to share games you’ve made.

2 Likes

I just realised it’s been 4 entire days since I claimed to have a playable demo available. What a swoop of optimism that was!!!

I’ve been neatening up some of the images in the game, as well as making the organisation of GOs and Collections a little better (the fact that collections, and not GOs, should be used to create pre-fab objects took me a while to understand and meant I had to re-do a lot of work). I actually think that the manual gives you the impression that collections are used for levels, scenes, etc… and that’s true, but in fact, in my game, almost every element in-game is a collection.

I also have tried to put the levels into a more or less logical order. The first demo will have 14 levels (basically “world 1”. And it’s not necessary to do the levels in any order. Once you’ve done the tutorial, the whole world is available to you. But I wanted to make sure there were some really “good” levels in there, as well as making sure that there weren’t any levels that were waaaay harder than the others.

1 Like

… What I am trying to say is that whatever happens, I promise to upload a beta version tomorrow!

playtesting with my lovely flatmates (mariona drives whilst yolanda gestures wildly)

4 Likes

It’s here! It’s finally here!

Embarrasingly, I only realised yesterday there is a huge video game fair with stalls for independent developers happening this weekend. Luckily I called them and told them I’d be interested in having a stall, and the only condition they gave me was that I’d have to bring my own table (!)

6 Likes