Welcome to the bikiniverse!

Agree with @britzl, looking better for each update, good job!

One question, where does the name come from? :slight_smile: Are you worried it might scare of some of your users, or attract the “wrong” group? :stuck_out_tongue:

The story is the two characters (alex and isabel) fall through a strange crack in the world after a storm, and they meet someone who explains that the multiverse isn’t really a multiverse, but a two-part bikiniverse, and it is falling apart, and they need to collect the 124 power donuts in order to reunite the two halves, otherwise the BIKINIVERSE will become undone.

@sven I see what you mean. But I kind of like the weirdness of the name (kind of like goat simulator, shower with your dad, etc.) and how it isn’t what you’d expect. People who like bikinis are likely to click on it, people who think it is “creepy” are also likely to click on it to see what it is. Also, I want to put many funny jokes in.

The explanation of the game on itch might be something like:

Welcome to the bikiniverse. Alex and Isabel move together. Get one of them to the donut, don’t let either of them fall into space. Despite its racy title, this game contains, disappointingly, no nudity.

1 Like

No game videos today, just writing to say that I now have a team member: a lifelong friend whose name is actually alex (no relation to the alex of the game). He did some level design and is now going to do more of the same. By the end of next week we should have the requisite two minutes of game for the competition entry, and I’ll be able to focus the rest of the time I have on making it look and feel great.

Also, I think this might be the music for the game, though I haven’t decided yet. It’s an old song that a friend and I made a video for, which later was selected for the very trendy london short film festival. The video was made by animating coloured cells in open office.

3 Likes

Ha! Awesome!!! And ambitious!

I have a playable demo. Where should i put it? Itch.io?

Yes, until Sticky Iron is released I believe that itch.io is a perfect place to share games you’ve made.

2 Likes

I just realised it’s been 4 entire days since I claimed to have a playable demo available. What a swoop of optimism that was!!!

I’ve been neatening up some of the images in the game, as well as making the organisation of GOs and Collections a little better (the fact that collections, and not GOs, should be used to create pre-fab objects took me a while to understand and meant I had to re-do a lot of work). I actually think that the manual gives you the impression that collections are used for levels, scenes, etc… and that’s true, but in fact, in my game, almost every element in-game is a collection.

I also have tried to put the levels into a more or less logical order. The first demo will have 14 levels (basically “world 1”. And it’s not necessary to do the levels in any order. Once you’ve done the tutorial, the whole world is available to you. But I wanted to make sure there were some really “good” levels in there, as well as making sure that there weren’t any levels that were waaaay harder than the others.

1 Like

… What I am trying to say is that whatever happens, I promise to upload a beta version tomorrow!

playtesting with my lovely flatmates (mariona drives whilst yolanda gestures wildly)

4 Likes

It’s here! It’s finally here!

Embarrasingly, I only realised yesterday there is a huge video game fair with stalls for independent developers happening this weekend. Luckily I called them and told them I’d be interested in having a stall, and the only condition they gave me was that I’d have to bring my own table (!)

6 Likes

@Axel, you know, you owe me some high quality feedback… get playing!!!

2 Likes

I like your puzzles. especially surprise elements when next levels reveals.
and your graphic remind me one . [details=russian psychedelic cartoons]

[/details]

About the game It was just strange for me that you can sacrifice one of the character. also on my old 13’’ laptop the game canvas is a bit bigger than browser window

my result =)

4 Likes

Played up to level 12, got stuck there, like the game a lot, can see this being very popular with the room mates, might be nice to had the enter key to play again, just for speed, and the text looks ugly when it appears across the board, the graphics are cute, their surprised look as they fall into the abyss made me smile. One thing I did notice, the position of the trees on some levels actually gave you the solution as how to solve it, this might be down to getting used to how the game played, or you might want to add more confusion to the levels.

regards
DaveJ

3 Likes

@nicloay thank you so much for playing and for sharing that screenshot. I believe that re-sizing is rather complicated, isn’t it? Did you try full-screening the game? How old is your laptop? (i’m asking to get an idea of how serious this problem could be)

Here, I suspect you meant to say that you *can’t sacrifice one of the characters, right?

Actually if one of the character will die but another one will eat donut at the same turn the level will be passed (in case if it’s a latest star or latest donut).

I have macbook 2011 it has 1280x800 screen size. According to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp it is about 15% of the users (my size and lower, not sure if they count mobile screens as well). Here is a statistic across unity apps http://hwstats.unity3d.com/pc/display.html

@Davej Thank you so much for playing (I know I just said the same thing to nicloay but really, I always feel very grateful when people take their time to test out stuff I’ve made!!).

• I’ll definitely add the enter key idea. I really need to do some menu stuff as that’s all quite basic at the moment.

• I find it difficult to know which levels people are going to find difficult! And different people seem to have trouble with different parts of the game (from what I have seen, they tend to repeat the same mistake very early on (thereby making the puzzle unsolvable) and then spend a long time trying to solve it. That’s why I let the player choose from the entire first world, instead of making them complete the levels one by one.

• It’s true that the trees make it very easy: in fact that they are the key element of all of the levels as they are the only way of changing the algorithm. So although you found those levels very easy… you should be aware that you are only one world into the deep dark depths of the bikiniverse!!! No but seriously, my flatmates (who are not computer game people) managed to do about 10 levels in 10 minutes, generally taking between 1 and 4 attempts, so I was pretty happy. I’ll let you know when the rest is up (I have more than 100 levels already made in an old version, the majority of which are available here, in case you feel like playing a little more)

3 Likes

That’s not supposed to happen. The donut is not collectable if either Alex or Isabel falls into space. I’ll investigate (and perhaps add an animation to make it clear that the donut disappears if anyone falls into space).

Re: Screen size… I used the defold default screen size, and so it’s a shame to have that problem. I’ll see what I can do about making it smaller and more manageable. I really appreciate your detailed feedback.

Playtesting at a videogame fair. People seem to be liking it!!!

5 Likes

#squadgoals

5 Likes

bikiniverse making the girls happy!!!

Goal #03 - Successful done !!

1 Like