Unable to build with native extension (DEF-2797)(SOLVED)

Hi,

I’m Defold (Editor 1, Version 1.2.107) on Linux, and building for Android.

Whenever I try to build with a native extension, I get this error message:
Build server output: Unsupported platform x86_64-linux ext.manifest /myproject/content/extension_dir Unknown Problem

[edit: more precisions]
I followed the tutorial here to make a simple extension. Then I run dmengine on my Android phone, and I use “Build and Launch” to run it directly on my phone. This gave me the above error.
I also tried to make an Android bundle, but I got a long error message (that I can copy here) apparently involving the build server.
This is exactly the same error that I have with any other native extension.

Is there a solution to that problem, or should I switch to using Defold on Windows ?

[edit 2]
I tried it on Windows, and it gives the same error

It looks like the project is not built for the target platform, but for the platform the editor is running on.

Thanks in advance,
Florent

For now Native Extensions for Windows and Linux does not supported.
You can rename ext.manifest for build your game without Native Extensions.

I don’t understand. I don’t want to build for Linux or Windows, but for Android. I want to use this native extension on Android, so what should I do to build it ?

Project->Build will build your game for the platform that the editor is running on.
Project->Bundle->Platform will bundle an executable for the platform you selected.

If you have one or more native extensions added to your project and build (Project->Build) we will send the extensions to our build server and return a custom engine with the extensions included. This will happen even if it’s an extension specifically targeting iOS and Android (like AdMob). Until we have engine builders for all platforms on our build server this will be a problem for you since we do not yet have a builder for Linux. The only solution I can think of is to remove the mobile extensions from your project until you actually need to bundle.

I think the problem here (like @britzl says) is that “build and launch” is invoked, and (currently) it tries to build a Linux engine, even though all you needed was the content build (since you are attached to the Android device).
I’ve added a ticket for this.

If you wish, you can download an alpha release of Editor 1, which does have Win32 support: http://d.defold.com/alpha/
(The expected release of Win32 support is next week)

2 Likes

Thank you, I will try that out.

Is anything planned for Linux support as well ?

Yes, my hope is that I will start working on Linux support for Native Extensions next week.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s very good news !!