Towerball - a game of skill for Android

Towerball is a game of skill inspired by Nebulous, Doodle Jump and I-Ball. The aim of the game is the bounce up the inside of a tower using the conveniently spaced platforms, collecting pick-ups and avoiding or shooting hazards. It’s a simple concept but it can take some time to get the hang of controlling the ball.

The core of the game is up and running and the player can progress from one tower to the next, though presently there is no difficulty curve. Each tower is procedurally generated so you always get a different set of levels.

Next on my to-do list is to add some enemies floating around in the towers as well as add some moving platforms and other stuff to vary the gameplay.

The game will be released on Android as well as an in-browser build.

7 Likes

You’re a game making machine @benjames171! Looking forward to testing it!

6 Likes

Well, you guys have made it so easy to make games, it’d be rude not to! :grin:

10 Likes

I’ve been busy finishing up Towerball this week - another quick project nearly done!

Various hazards and obstacles have been added, along with occasional pick-ups and there’s a difficulty curve of sorts so hopefully most people will be able to get past the first level or two. It’s always hard to tell the hardness of one’s own games. Remember to git good before complaining it’s too hard though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Play HTML5 Build in browser
The sound is a bit glitchy on Firefox but everything seems okay on Chrome. HTML5 builds generally don’t perform that well on Firefox in my experience.

The Android version has been submitted to Google Play - I’ll post that up on the #MadeWithDefold thread when it’s live.

4 Likes

Nice! So many games!

One little tweak that I would have made: It’s sometimes annoying when you press the jump button a fraction of a second before you hit the ground, and then nothing happens. If you make it “queue” a jump while in the air it will fix that. So if you jump, release, and press and hold jump again while in the air, it will jump again as soon as you hit the ground.

Sometimes people write platformers so you can hold the jump button to bounce like a pogo stick forever, but to me that just causes the opposite problem: sometimes you jump when you don’t mean to.

But anyway, nice work!

3 Likes

Fun game!

3 Likes