Teaser Fridays and Roadmap talks

Got back to doing a bit of vulkan work this sprint, so thought I should share the progress so far. I’m currently looking into dealing with the render pipeline state management for things like culling and depth testing.

21 Likes

Are multiple material IDs per model on any roadmap for 3D?

1 Like

I don’t have the roadmap in front of me, but I don’t think so. @britzl might know :slight_smile:

No, it’s not on the roadmap. How would it be used?

In the model you can select a material ID # for certain faces. Then in the model you would be able to assign a material per material ID. So you can have a model with completely different material logic for different areas.

It’s one way to get separation of rendering in models. Another way is to map different shader logic based on color coded texture regions for material IDs that way, or to use a PBR approach.

3 Likes

Hey all,
here’s a little teaser Tuesday sneak peak of joints support:

Here you see some classic spring joints, but also hinge joints with motors enabled on the “car”. :slight_smile:

We recently took a new stab at the design for joints/constraints, based on input from @Mathias_Westerdahl previous exploration, and are now in implementation mode. We want to keep the scope down so we can deliver it as soon as possible. The current plan is;

• Supply a runtime API in the initial release, and having the editor/build-time joint creation as a separate task.
  • Initial release will only support joints in 2D physics.

Can’t promise a definite release date, but it is being actively worked on so expect “soon”. :wink:

26 Likes

whoa! awesome!!

5 Likes

Wow! Something really great! :smiley: opening new possibilities!

5 Likes

Finally

1 Like

One more teaser from @sven , but I don’t know why he doesn’t want to share it himself (I decided to steal his likes =)) )

New API for changing the vector of gravity in runtime:

22 Likes

Here’s another Vulkan teaser :slight_smile: Updated to Mojave yesterday which unlocked more debugging tools for Metal / MoltvenVK shaders. I can now step through a piece of shader code for a specific pixel to actually see what goes on with the values, it’s pretty wild!

16 Likes

That’s rad! Will it be possible to debug shaders like this with Defold in the future?

3 Likes

Yes, very likely! Xcode for Apple products and renderdoc for all other :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There’s also https://spector.babylonjs.com/

5 Likes

Impressive! :star_struck:

2 Likes

We had an exploration day today; I decided to try out adding ‘multiple rendertarget’ support to our render scripts, and here is the result:

Basically, you could specify the number of textures per rendertarget you would like to attach and then set each output with the gl_FragData[n] call. It’s useful for stuff like deferred rendering and various post-processing implementations such as temporal antialiasing, where you don’t want to render the objects several times to pack the scene data…

18 Likes

Awesome!

3 Likes

Defold 3D, cool!

2 Likes

gpgs
Still no ETA but work in progress.

20 Likes

Here’s another little thing in progress (DEF-1184 Interleavable tilemap layers)
Should land in the next release.

This features rendering more similar to sprites, enables better sorting and batching of regions and other tilemaps. E.g. in the video below, there are two tilemaps and a sprite. The layers behind the hero are merged into one draw call, and the (single) layer in front of the hero is another draw call. Total draw calls 3. Previously it would have been at least 4 draw calls, depending on the width/height of the tilemaps (the region size is still 32x32 tiles, and each region was previously batched separately)

19 Likes