Pie Squares: Web and Mobile game about collecting fruit

So on the way back from a wedding, I stopped at a McDonald’s and I played a little game at their kiosk while waiting for my nuggets. They had this little game where you clicked shapes of different colors and if the ones you clicked made a rectangle (2 opposite corners or 3 of the 4 corners), they would clear and you would score points. The goal being to get as many points as possible. I thought to myself "This is fun. I could make it on mobile and it could be themed about baking pies because who doesn’t love pies. A little over 2 years later, I finally built a quick little prototype. Here is a screenshot of that. Art by Doodle For Food

I started from the Magic Link tutorial and built the core loop today (Clicking the fruit, them vanishing and more sliding in). A lot of work still to be done.

Next on my list:

1. Scoring points
  2. Determining if 5 fruit is too many (3 or 4 might be a better amount)
  3. Timer (Debating between 1 and 3 minutes)
  4. Fruit highlighting (the one from the tutorial works for prototyping, but I need something specific)
  5. Determining if the fruit are too big (They might need a little room to breathe)

Way further on my list:

1. Making “pie recipe” goals that if completed add more time.
  2. Title and menu
  3. Audio
12 Likes

Nice! Good luck with your project!

Thanks!

Small update this week (had some distractions that prevented working on it the previous two weeks):

Fixed some bugs involving selecting pieces (you could select two on the same row or column and have it clear the board)
Went to 3 fruit from 5. Gameplay feels better this way.
Changed the board dimensions to 8 x 8. Still not sure I’m happy with that. I need to figure out all the UI around it (score, countdown timer, and the time bonus recipe quests)
Updated outlines. I tried to make this work with a shader and I could make the outline, but it didn’t look very good so I created outline sprites for each. I was going to do color coordinated but I felt white was more consistent. Since people will only be able to select 2 at most this should be sufficient.

5 Likes

Hey @codecloak, how’s it going? :slight_smile:

Hello Axel.

Not a lot of programming/in editor work going on unfortunately. I’ve been really focused on trying to workout the UI and the layout of the game at different orientations and building a list of audio I need for the game. While these things should’ve only taken me an afternoon two weeks ago, I made the mistake of contemplating different release options and got a bit disheartened because I can’t afford to do any of them and didn’t really work on it because of it. I decided that I’ll only be putting the game up on my website as a portfolio piece after I finish it. Last weekend I took off to do a bunch of practice programming tests and thus no work got done.

That leads me to this week. I opened the editor and tried to build and run my game but for some reason it looks like nothing happens. I meant to write a bug report on it but I got busy trying to debug or fix it and I forgot to write that up. When I return from work this evening, I will be putting in one with as much details as I can.

Thank you for your interest in the project. My goal is to have an alpha up on my website by Sept 1st.

2 Likes

Cool, man! Thanks for taking the time to write the bug report, it’s much appreciated. Also looking forward to Sept 1st :tada:

1 Like

Quick update for tonight. Here is a quick look at my incredibly rough and terrible programmer layout for the game. 800 x 600

I am not an artist by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have one that will be helping me in the future, so hopefully it’ll turn that into something amazing.

6 Likes

Busy weekend for me. The game is now technically feature complete. It still looks ugly and thrown together (and the code only looks slightly better) but all the features I wanted to implement are in. The game is stressful and I absolutely love it.

Next up for me is:

1. Figuring out how to put this on my github pages and have it load on my website.
  2. Talk to one of my artist friends about getting a cohesive look together.
  3. Pause button/menu
  4. Audio
6 Likes

I got in the zone and made it to alpha a lot sooner than Sept 1. Currently, I think if I knew the engine when I started that I probably could’ve gotten to this point in a weekend.

The build is available to play on my website: Alpha

5 Likes

Great stuff, @codecloak! It did take me way too long to figure out the mechanics though, since I thought you could only match adjacent rectangles. I assume there’ll be a quick tutorial or something later on. Until then, I took the liberty of making this – could be helpful to someone.

Oh – my highscore is 10,167!

4 Likes

Thanks man. Yeah there will be a “how-to” menu that will pop up on first play and then be accessible whenever from the main menu or pause menu. Excellent high score! Mine is only slightly higher than that.

Currently working out details with my artist friend about what is needed for this to look really good.

1 Like

This fine Friday evening, I reworked the UI back closer to the original layout for the eventual mobile release that I decided to do once I realized I could store the high scores via facebook and not have to maintain my own server. Here is a quick look at the game on 3 low to mid tier devices:

480 x 800

600 x 1024

768 x 1024

I want to get some high dpi devices (or just standard resolutions) and test on them, but limited budget so I have to spread out the purchases.

Saturday Edit:

Learned about layouts so I can use those to workout the UI at different resolutions. Now running into a problem where the outlines I’m using on the fruit don’t appear. I can’t seem to reliably reproduce what is occurring and making random changes to depths (that I never had to change before) seems to resolve the issue. In one case I had to change them and then after a few minutes they disappeared again and had to change them back to make them show up.

3 Likes

I would recommend that you change your render script to allow for a larger range of Z-values. The default render script is in the -1 to 1 range. Setting something like -10 to 10 or -100 to 100 will give you a bit more flexibility and it will be less fiddling with fractional values and the risk of things dropping outside the -1 to 1 range.

1 Like

No real news on the project this week. I’m currently trying to fund the release of the project (money to buy mobile devices to test on and mac to build to iOS) and waiting on art samples from the artist I’m working with so that we can determine the look of the game.

Here is a short list of goals I’ve set up for myself to be “releasable” not including the testing on device and such:

1. Multipliers
  2. Instructions in game
  3. Options Menu
  4. Facebook connect
  5. High Scores (populated from Facebook connection or top 5 local to device)
  6. Share buttons (to facebook and twitter)
  7. Ad(s)
1 Like

You can rent time for a Mac in the cloud to build your iOS apps. You can test in the built in xcode emulator. http://www.xcodeclub.com/ $30 a month and you can cancel any time. I’m not affiliated with them in any way, but I’ve known devs who use them. It can be much better than putting much more upfront at once to buy a computer to do builds on.

You could crowd source testing too… just have to find people with devices willing to help test. Reddit can be a place to look. You can get testers for iOS/Android for sure. The main thing you want people to report is performance + crashing issues.

Defold seems to be really generally solid. The biggest things you need to worry about is not having too costly processing, and not using too much memory.

I’ve tested Leapdroid and it seems to be a very good Android emulator. There is Nox and Bluestacks too that I’ve used. Strangely I think Defold builds are crashing in Nox atm, but they are working in Leapdroid / Bluestacks. Leapdroid may be best bet for testing Android for IAP / ads and so on. You can get Android tablets that are pretty good for pretty cheap such as this for $50 https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-7-Inch-Tablet-8GB/dp/B00TSUGXKE (they are root / cfw able depending on what os version is installed so if you care look that up first before updating it if you get one). There are also cheaper Android devices which are decent for testing just because you are testing relative min specs, but emulators are good to test on if you are only testing features.

5 Likes

Still waiting on a lot of the art, but figured I would share one that shows the general direction the game will go. Sorry if the formatting is weird. Posting from my phone.

3 Likes

Hey everyone!

Just a quick update this weekend. Art is mostly in. Still need to do menus and a bit of GUI work but the game screen is looking very pretty. You might notice I’m now using pumpkins instead of cherries and the outline now has a bit more look to it.

Multipliers are in (decided to just do the largest one in the group of fruit collected instead of all of them collected because then scores got insane) and I’ve decided not put in ads

Next up:

1. Working timer UI
  2. Working collection UI
  3. Instructions in game
  4. Options Menu
  5. Facebook connect
  6. High Scores (populated from Facebook connection or top 5 local to device)
  7. Share buttons (to facebook and twitter)
10 Likes

It looks really great! It’s a big improvement!

3 Likes

Today I added some animation to the UI and learned I’m terrible at making gifs.

Going to keep chugging a long. Need to figure out the weirdness with the slice 9 for the progress meter. Just doesn’t look as good as it should.

8 Likes

Really nice, @codecloak! Like Björn said; amazing progress since day 1, this is turning out to be a great game. :slight_smile:

I do find it a bit difficult to see the pumpkins on the board though, they blend in quite a lot with the background – requiring much more cognitive load to scan for “pumpkin squares” than blueberry squares. Perhaps desaturating/lightening the pie bottom a bit?

3 Likes