Metal Hooligan beat'em up

That was a 2015 year. When I(programmer) and one painter take part in gamejam(gamedevparty). Game was a simple beat’em up. Now i want to port this game to defold, and extend it with more features.

screenshot from gamejam version

2015 game version http://gamedevparty.ru/works/GDP%231/156/index.html

6 Likes

Today I make camera and states for hero/enemies.They can be in 6 states.(idle,walk,make_hit,block,get_hit,dead). I make a module that encapsulation all logic of changing states.It make very simple to change states logic in future, or add more states.
State have 2 parameters id and prioritet.

M.state_idle={id=0,prior=0} 
M.state_walk={id=1,prior=1}
M.state_make_hit={id=2,prior=2}
M.state_block={id=3,prior=2}  
M.state_end_block={id=4,prior=2} --work only if current_state == block
M.state_get_hit={id=5,prior=3}
M.state_dead={id=99,prior=99}
function M:change_state(state_id)	
	local state=id_to_state(state_id)
	if(state==M.state_end_block and self.current_state==M.state_block) then
		return M.set_state(self,M.state_idle)
	elseif(state.prior>self.current_state.prior) then
		return M.set_state(self,state)
	else
		return false
	end
end

Tomorrow I want to add enemy and write simple ai.

2 Likes

Today i understand that my hit and damage mechanic is too simple. I have 2 colliders beat_zone(1) and dmg_zone(2). When hero beat_zone overlap enemy dmg_zone. Enemy is get hit and take damage.

Now i move beat zone when player make_hit. It’s ok when i have one simple hit. But i want to make a combo, it will be hard to move beat_zone, because path described in code=).

In future i want to have spine animation instead of flip book. So i think that spine timeline events is what i need. When the one move in combo is done(for example punch), i will send event with beat_zone position and enable collisions.

Today i try to find information about different beat’em ups, play them, pay attention to mechanic and gamedesign.

5 Likes

I play some beat’em up(Castle crashers and Rampage Knight), watch youtube videos about beat’em up classic and new games, and wrote things ,that i want to make.

1. two types of kick(hand(fast) and leg(strength))
    2)few simple combinations (hand/hand/hand , hand/hand/kick etc.)
    3)rpg elements(hero level, some magic skills that can be upgrade)
    4)classic beat’em up mechanic. Move, then kill all enemy, then again move.At the end of level boss battle.
    5)After kick enemy can fall to ground, and i can kick a lying
    6)roll to avoid attacks
    7)map like in castle crasher to select level(map is realy awesome)
    8)Must have coop(i think about local for max 4 players.In ideal world it will be awesome to have lan multiplayer
    9)No jump .I can’t understand why all beat’em games have a jump.The game doesn’t need it. And it make harder to make a fight system, because i need to understand is player in air or not.
    10)Input from gamepad
    11)Different characters(i want to start with one character(in coop characters will have different color),but it will be awesome to have different characters with different moves.
    Castle crashers map
5 Likes

Cool, @d954mas! Looking forward to following this dev log :slight_smile:

2 Likes