How to get GO position (SOLVED)

Hello guys, need your help. I need to get g.o. position and then set it to another object but i dont know how to do that. In fact i want to attach gui element to g.o.
I know about set and get functions, also i used paths. I missing something fo sure,
Would be great if someone can show me working code for my sitution, Thank you.

function update(self, dt)
gui.set_position("pie",go.get_position("hero/ship/ship"))

end

for example for this code i gettin this:

ERROR:SCRIPT: main/gui/gui.gui_script:22: bad argument #3 to 'get_position' (GOScriptInstance expected, got userdata)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'get_position'
	main/gui/gui.gui_script:22: in function <main/gui/gui.gui_script:21>

hi goldenbath,

I’m pretty new to this as well but the answer is to create a local variable and then refer to that variable in the go.set_position

You’ll have to check the grammar but it’s something like:

local p = go.get_position("hero/ship/ship")
gui.set_position("pie",p)

same error anyway :frowning: mb i just cant use this function (go.get_position) in gui script? i try’d it in common script and it works. but in gui script i see this.

“main/gui/gui.gui_script:24: in function <main/gui/gui.gui_script:23>
ERROR:SCRIPT: main/gui/gui.gui_script:24: bad argument #3 to ‘get_position’ (GOScriptInstance expected, got userdata)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'get_position’
main/gui/gui.gui_script:24: in function <main/gui/gui.gui_script:23>

You cannot mix gui and go functions. In a .gui_script file you can only use gui.* functions and in a .script function you can only use go.* functions. You need to use message passing if you wish to pass a game object position to a gui script.

i’m Sorry for bothering you, but can you help me with that. What exaclty i have to do with vector3 message?
Right now i have go.script with this code:

function update(self, dt)
	local p = go.get_position()
	msg.post("main:/gui/gui#gui", "pos_update", {pos = p})

And gui.gui_script:

function on_message(self, message_id, message, sender)
	if message_id == hash("pos_update") then
		gui.set_position("pie",message.pos)
	end
end

Error:

ERROR:SCRIPT: main/gui/gui.gui_script:35: bad argument #1 to 'set_position' (userdata expected, got string)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'set_position'
	main/gui/gui.gui_script:35: in function <main/gui/gui.gui_script:33>
ERROR:GAMESYS: Error when dispatching message to gui scene: -2. Message 'pos_update' sent from main:/ship#script to main:/gui/gui#gui.

Hmm, it seems like there’s something wrong with the data passed in the message. Everything looks ok though. Could you please pprint(message) in gui.gui_script and post back here with the result?

DEBUG:SCRIPT:
{
pos = vmath.vector3(1407.0148925781, 931.91943359375, 0),
}

Ah, sorry, I looked at the wrong thing. You need to do:

gui.set_position(gui.get_node("pie"), message.pos)
1 Like

Thank you so much! Should i mark this topic [SOLVED] now?

1 Like