How much are Defold servers safe?

As I’ve understood, Defold Engine 1.0 requires developers to host their projects on King’s servers. I won’t talk about trust\legal issues in this topic, as everyone knows the confusion which originated by the bad reputation attributed to King for the famous case of the “Candy” game, and by an user on this community, see -> How do I cancel my account? (SOLVED)

Having my projects stored on a server which I haven’t control on, doesn’t make me sleep peacefully. Let’s say that Defold will reach dozens of thousands of developers worldwide, well, will King store therabytes of games data of random people around the world?
What if servers accidentally shut down/broke, and users were forced to wait for maintenance, or maybe to not wait at all because of data loss?

Does the Defold Editor 2.0 let users host projects’ data elsewhere?

There’s some talk about hosting your project in your own git repo here:

2 Likes

Editor 1 requires you to create the project from the dashboard, but once you have checked out an initial copy of the project you’re free to change remote origin of the Git repo. Read more here: HOWTO: Alternative project hosting

Editor 2 doesn’t require you to create a project from the dashboard. When you launch Editor 2 you get the option to Open Project and simply browse to the location of a game.project file.

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s clearer to me now.