How can I work offline, as defold new project has to be created online

I’ve just started my laptop offline and have been immediately prompted with ‘sign into defold’ the project is still on the disk yet I can’t open it since I’m apparently my signed in. any ideas?

You need to be online to open project.

sorry, misinterpreted your previous post. is there any plans to make offline supported in editor 2.0?

Yes, absolutely! That and support for local projects or any git hosting.

so there is no workaroud to open a project without having access to the internet

Not with the old editor. The new editor allows you to open a project from any location without the need for any network connection.

I signed up for the alpha testing. The new editor is awesome and it does let me open existing projects from hard drive.

Only missing feature in it atm is ability to create offline projects

2 Likes

Yes, that would be nice to be able to do from within the editor, but in all honesty all you need is a game.project file and you could create that manually. Or, zip an empty project and unpack and modify as needed when you need to create a new project. I have an (almost) empty project here for instance: https://github.com/britzl/defold-empty

1 Like

The new editor works off any folder that contains a git clone of a project. You can create a project any way you like, on- or off-line.

@britzl thank you! I will use it
@sicher the editor can open local projects, but it can not create them. As a result the user can not even start the editor without having downloaded an example project or an empty project

The first time user will be stuck on this window:

minus the recent project i have in my case

Furthermore, even if you have downloaded a new empty project and open it, Defold has no way of saving it as a new project and giving it a new name. It can only overwrite the files in the empty project template the user opened.

I made myself useful and posted about this at the github tracker. Hope it helps

2 Likes

No, you can absolutely create a project offline. Here’s an example:

5 Likes

Note that what I created here is so barebones it won’t even build. Adding and hooking up a main collection (can be empty) and input bindings (can also be empty) will make it build. You probably want to set this up as a Git project with a remote as well.

2 Likes

The option to be able to create a new empty project from within the editor should be added at some point. I just wanted to point out that it is perfectly possible to work around that now. A Defold project is nothing but a folder with a “game.project” file inside. If you, for instance, need to save with another name, just copy the folder.

2 Likes

Thank you @sicher this is a great workaround! :slight_smile:

I love the new editor btw! It is surprisingly stable for an alpha

4 Likes

Whilst Sicher has proven beyond doubt that you can create a new project without going online, it would probably also be beneficial to have a “new project” button, even if it’s just a link that takes you to the dashboard’s own “new project” button.

1 Like

Yes, some such functionality should definitely be there.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t require internet connection to create a new empty project either.

Perhaps a prompt could ask if you want to create it online or offline?

1 Like

I came across someone linking to this thread just a few weeks ago, so I thought it should be updated a bit.

As of version 1.2.124, Editor 2 now has a nice interface for creating new projects. It does still require an internet connection to download the template files (even for the empty project template), but you do not have to log in to your account and the project is not connected to any online services.

1 Like

And to further add to this you can create a bare bones project by creating an empty game.project file in an empty folder and the select Open From Disk in Editor 2 and select the empty game.project file.

2 Likes

Would be nice if the internet connection requirement wasn’t there though :slight_smile:

You still need to be online to make a new project

An empty project is really tiny, so you are not adding much of a footprint to the editor’s size by distributing it with a template empty project

4 Likes