First Impressions Feature Requests - Plugins, LuaSec, Game Center/Services, TextBoxes

Very impressed overall! Not sure why King would release this for free! Not sure how I didn’t see this earlier.

However, I couldn’t find these capabilities:

User created plugins - any ETA? I assuming I could implement many of my other wish items with this compatibility.

LuaSec / OpenSSL to support TLS 1.2 to implement secure sockets (TCP).

Apple Game Center / Google Game Play Services / Amazon Game Circle

Native Text Boxes / text input? Really surprised I couldn’t find this.

Ad Networks (Admob + others) - see this is already being planned but no ETA.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear that you like Defold. I’ll try to address at least some of the questions/concerns you have, and maybe @sicher can add to my answers as well.

User created plugins - any ETA? I assuming I could implement many of my other wish items with this compatibility.

• The new editor will allow you to create your own editor plugins. Level editors, importers, visual timelines, data input and many more things. If you mean plugins that you can distribute for other users to include in theirs games, not tools to improve the editor itself, then you can already do this via library projects (although we need to add support for read only libraries as well)

LuaSec / OpenSSL to support TLS 1.2 to implement secure sockets (TCP).

• Yes, this is not supported. We do have luasocket in the engine, but not LuaSec. This is the first time I hear anyone mentioning this.

Apple Game Center / Google Game Play Services / Amazon Game Circle

• We are looking into integrating one or more of these. No ETA.

Native Text Boxes / text input? Really surprised I couldn’t find this.

• Native text input is supported, but not native text boxes. You can create your own text field and activate the native virtual keyboard of the device. Some details here.
1 Like

Library Projects seem good for shared Lua libraries. I was referring to native plugins for the various platforms so I could add the missing functionality, (e.g. Game Center, secure sockets, admob, etc) myself.

Thanks for your quick reply! Very helpful, especially the create your own text field part.

1 Like

I’m afraid that there is currently no support for including custom native plugins in your projects.

1 Like

Hi,
Do you have any news on the google play / game center front?
I’d love to have a leaderboard =)
Thanks!

1 Like

I’m experimenting with a webview based Google Play Game Services integration, but several other things (sun, family etc) have gotten in the way of it :slight_smile: I hope to be able to pick it up in the coming couple of days. I’ll keep you all updated.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!
Enjoy the sun :smile:

Hi,
have you some progress with ios game center?

No, I’m afraid not. :frowning:

=(((
As I understand, Apple like when developers use as many as possible them services and functions. It can help to Get App Featured from Apple.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Any updates about Game Center (achievements, leaderboards) / Google Play Services / External SDKs integration?

We’ve had a blast doing our first game in Defold these past 2 months but now that we are near the end and that we see that our game has potential we would love to have better chances of being featured at the stores and also look for other distribution channels, and these features are a must.

Are you considering these features in the near future?

Thanks a lot!

Hi @wongcito. I’m happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed developing your game and that you feel that it has great potential! I almost feel bad when I yet again say that all of your requested features can be solved via the native extensions system we’re working on. The difference this time is that we are really close to a first public release of the system. Some announcements and demos will happen during GDC and a public release will happen soon after GDC.

3 Likes

That’s great, @britzl! I will visit the Defold booth during GDC to know more about it and we’ll wait for the update for the release on iOS and Android. We’ll also share some of our work here soon.

3 Likes

Excellent! See you at GDC!

2 Likes