Everlasting Summer (Defold edition)

I use “All chars” in font. And after it all works fine.

Introduced language switch and english language for day1-scene2.

game version 0.8

Now language can be switched in the game at any time.

3 Likes

Implemented background changing when script is needed for it.

Higlighted text by actor color to distinguish it visually.

2 Likes

Displaying relations with girls animated.

It slides from right and bump heart from back to front. This can add juiciness to game.

3 Likes

Implemented animated show/hide of actor and emotion now changes from transparency (more lifelike)

1 Like

One thought - how to dynamically download images for sprites from server. I do not like, that game loaded all images at once and player will see only small portion of it, but should wait while loading finishes.

1 Like

It is currently not possible to download images and use on sprites (you can do this on gui box nodes using gui.new_texture, gui.set_texture and image.load). We are working on a new feature called LiveUpdate for download of new assets. Jakob describes this feature here: Apk-expansion files

Interesting feature. I should reconsider entire game flow to be ui based. If sprite can be shown above UI I can download backgrounds as GUI nodes as well.

You can modify the render script to change the order in which things are drawn.

Thank you. I read this render manual but do not understand it very well. Will reread it and use sprite over gui.

You can have multiple render predicates for multiple material tags. So you could have two Game Object layers one above and one below GUI. Or two GUI one above one below GOs.

This is perfect. You show the way to solve current problem. I will learn and try to display it as sandwich.
This can minimize memory consumption of game and size of distribution.

Added blinking for normal emotion and pose 1 for Slavya actress.

When I make all blinks working, then will show it on public to see emotions and suggestions.

This bring to life game more.

I will implement moving eyes and maybe rotation of actors to make it more animation like. But this can add huge amount of time to develop (not mention build size).

If I can implement clouds and wind, picture will be as alive as I wishes it to be.

When I implement all blinks (and eyes movement) game feel is skyrockets, because you look at active face.

Thinking about smoother facial emotion transitions. Krita 3 is good instrument for this.

4 Likes

Used tinypng.com and drastically minimized build size.

2 Likes

tinypng.com seems like a nice tool. Thanks for sharing! I usually use ImageOptim when I need to reduce the png size. The difference is that ImageOptim doesn’t change bitdepth (from 24 bit to 8 bit indexed pngs) and instead focuses on stripping meta data and changing compression.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Sharing is caring. I happy with responsive community and try to make my small commission to it.

Added blinking animation to happy pose. Last one pose in scene (surprise one).

Next will work on shaders. Eye movement is good to have, but I should consider to move it to last stage, because facial emotions and body language should be consistent and fullfill each other.

Sad to read that Defold does not support multiple textures per shader. I happy to have it, because I will mask gates out of clouds shader and can make it fast.

Now I should rebuild stage for it - splitting gates from background and placing it on cloud.

Wind shader also add some patch to texture. Movement on scene will change some background images (extracted parts will be wavy for grass, flags and leaves and dissolve for clouds)

And I look carefully for new shader on top of screen - sun rays. If I can find one.

2 Likes

Agreed about the multiple texture point, something that we really need but is not currently our top priority.

There is support for multiple textures for model files though, maybe something you could play with? :slight_smile: (You can also bind multiple textures in the render script, even before rendering sprites, but you can only bind “raw” images and not Atlases currently which might pose a problem with UVs.)

3 Likes

Thank you. It can fix some problems I faced during development. Stacking images is what I wish to use on each complex sprite or background.

Defold is great engine, so I search for workaround some minor inconsistencies.

1 Like

Added clouds (very grateful for fixing it by defold community member) now scene more lifelike. Moving clouds is pretty.

They move and I wish to move bigger clouds as well. And wind blowing. Maybe sometime I will add it when find a way to do it properly.

Now I will make every scene with clouds (sky color tint will be changed for day/night time of day)

And water in some scenes. So many work, but I happy to do it in free time. Game development is good hobby

7 Likes