'dmengine.exe has stopped working' upon building and launching project (DEF-2636) (SOLVED)

Defold Path: C:\Defold

I created a new project from the Defold dashboard, then I opened it in Defold, created a new branch named ‘master’ and then I went to:

Project -> Build and Launch

at which point a window will open up, freeze and then display the message:

‘dmengine.exe has stopped working’

I’ve tried opening the tutorial project as well, but I still receive the same error. I’ve tried running Defold as Administrator and I have tried it both with my firewall enabled and disabled. I also don’t currently have an anti-virus. Bundling for Windows works fine and I can run my game without issues when I do that.

As a temporary fix I went to:

Defold\plugins\com.dynamo.cr.engine_1.0.0.201602081620\engine\win32

and then renamed

dmengine.exe to dmengine.exe.old

and

dmengine_release.exe to demengine.exe

1 Like

Thanks!
Did you manage to get the original exe to work?
I don’t know if it is caused by this “fix”, but I can’t reload resources so I wonder if it is caused by it (and if you had the same problem then)

EDIT: Just saw it was February from last year, so I don’t think the original poster will answer, but if anyone has the answer.

Hello @frouin.cyrille,

Can you describe a bit more what problems you are having?

Hello!
It is the same problem as Alexander had a year ago.
When I build and launch (or rebuild and launch), the game window pop up with the error message.

dmengine.exe has stopped working

There is nothing in the Problems or the Error Log, and only the normal infos in the console :

INFO:ENGINE: Defold Engine 1.2.101 (1e53d81)
INFO:ENGINE: Loading data from: build/default
INFO:ENGINE: Initialised sound device 'default'

The bug happen whether I use a blank project or the tutorial project.
It has been “solved” by replacing the “dmengine.exe” file by the “dmengine_release.exe” file.

Second problem, that might be caused by the “fix” I used, is that when I try to reload a resource, I just get this error in the logs and nothing happen.

eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_05
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

Warning
Tue Apr 04 11:53:57 CEST 2017
Connection refused: connect

I’m using Windows 10 64bits.

Thanks for the quick answer, if you need more information I’ll gladly give them!

1 Like

Hot reload of resources is only enabled for the debug build of dmengine unfortunately, so it will not work for dmengine_release.exe.

We should instead figure out why dmengine.exe crashes on init. Did you have this issue with previous versions of defold or did it start happening after upgrading to 1.2.101?

I only started using it since today, so I can’t say about previous version. But I have the same problem with Defold 2, except that I can’t replace the dmengine file.
Are there dependencies that I should have installed beforehand and missed maybe?

If there is a way to download previous versions of Defold I could try.

No everything you need should be included in the package downloaded from the dashboard.

It could be interesting to try 32- and 64-bit build of dmengine.exe and see if the results are the same. You can download them from d.defold.com

Expand 1.2.101 and download engine/win32/dmengine.exe and engine/x86_64-win32/dmengine.exe. Place them in the bundle folder, or in the editor go to Preferences->Defold and check Custom application and browse to the correct executable.

Try the two exe:s and let us know how it goes

/Johan

2 Likes

I tried the 32 and 64 bit builds of the 10 last versions, it is the same as the current version.
I also discovered that when using the 64 bit build of dmengine, no window appear. The build finish and it doesn’t seem to launch at all.

I can’t reproduce this locally. Is there any output in the editor either in Problems tab or Error Log tab?

No output anywhere. I will try with another computer as soon as I can and let you know how it goes.

OK, great!

You could try one more thing; if you go into \plugins\com.dynamo.cr.engine_1.0.0.201704030909\engine\x86_64-win32 and \plugins\com.dynamo.cr.engine_1.0.0.201704030909\engine\win32, what happens when you double-click dmengine.exe and dmengine_release.exe?

For the 32 bit, both crash with the windows error.
For the 64 bit, an error window pop up saying that I miss OpenAL32.dll. If I copy the dll from the 32 bit folder, it says

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.

Hmm, OK

Please have a look in the project’s build directory. You can find it by right-clicking on a file in the editor and choose “Show in Explorer”. Go to the project root directory and the \build folder. What platform do you see there, x86-windows or x86_64-windows? What does the folder contain?

x86-windows
Inside there is:

• dmengine.exe
  • OpenAL32.dll
  • wrap_oal.dll

Perfect, what happens if you run that dmengine?

The window appear, then directly “dmengine.exe has stopped working”.

OK, that is strange. Could you check the architecture of dmengine.exe in that directory with dependecywalker (http://www.dependencywalker.com)? Just drag and drop the exe onto dependency walker. The icon next to dmengine.exe will say 64 if it is 64-bit, otherwise nothing.

It might be that for some reason there was a mix-up somewhere on our end and the wrong architecture exe is used for some reason, though it sounds wierd that dmengine.exe just crashes when run from explorer.

When running dmengine.exe directly you should get something that looks like:

As a last resort I would as you to delete and re-install Defold and see if that resolves the issue.

Did you get any warnings or notices from antivirus or admin privileges when installing or running?

Dependency Walker threw an error when trying to open dmengine.exe.
I will remove Defold and reinstall it.

Just tried with a clean Defold, still no change.
I guess I will just use it on Mac until I can try on another Windows and compare the results.
Thanks for your time! I will update this post if I find a way to get things to work :slight_smile:

1 Like