Difficulty Deploying to iOS (DEF-1672) (SOLVED)

As running the game via the Defold app wasn’t giving me the right resolution, I wanted to check how it looks with a normal ipa. But I just can’t seem to get it to work.

I have a developer account.
I have a provisioning profile (it is a wildcard one for all development com.[my signifier].*)
I have set the bundle identifier in game.project as com.[my signifier].[app name]
This account and provisioning profile successfully built the dmengine app.

So I:
Choose Project->Bundle->iOS Application
Leave “Release Mode” unchecked
Choose my “Code Signing Identity”. I only have one option.
Choose the wildcard provisioning profile

The app then builds, leaving me with an ipa and app file.

So I then go into Xcode and choose Window->Devices
I click the + to add an app and double click my ipa file in the file requester.

I get the error:
"[ipa filename] cannot be installed on [my device name]. [ipa filename] does not contain an application bundle."

Does anyone have any idea? Do I need to create an info.plist and select it in game.project? If so, what does it need to contain?

I usually just drag the ipa into iTunes and have it install through there. You do not need an info.plist. One is generated for you.

I’ll try that tomorrow. This device has never actually been synced with the development Mac so I was reluctant to try that, but it looks like it may be the best option.

I can also suggest using the “ios-deploy” tool: https://github.com/phonegap/ios-deploy

It allows you to deploy a bundle easily:
$ ios-deploy --bundle mybundle.ipa

1 Like

Cheers, I’ll have a look into that.

+1 for ios-deploy! It’s a very handy command line tool.

I got the same error when trying to deploy an IPA created by Defold through XCode->Devices.
When trying to install the .app instead of the .ipa, I got this: “CFBundleExecutable” specifies a file that is not executable
After setting the executable bit for the exe file, like:

> cd PetRescueVS.app
> chmod +x PetRescueVS 

I could then install it properly. So this issue can probably be solved if Defold enforces the file flag.

2 Likes

I have added a new ticket for this issue: DEF-1672

2 Likes

I’ve got same error: https://forum.defold.com/t/cannot-install-ipa-to-ios-device/1743

This will be solved in the release later today. Correct me if I’m wrong here @jakob.pogulis.

1 Like

Yeah, this should be fixed in 1.2.80 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Executable bit set on bundle in Defold 1.2.93: Defold 1.2.93 has been released

1 Like