Combustion - exploding train runner

I first learned about Defold with the announcement of this year’s GDC competition. I read the docs + backstory and was impressed with how intelligently the engine was put together, particularly the quality of the Lua binding, but we were busy with Yo to the Yo at the time. Now, with Apple’s feature of Yo to the Yo behind us, and our next major game already half done, we decided to spend two weeks making a game in Defold.

COMBUSTION

It was a normal train journey…until your locomotive caught fire. Sure, you were carrying highly explosive cargo, but at least you were in the backcountry. Now the only thing standing between this fiery death bringer and the next tragic headline is you, and the brake in the caboose.

Design, programming, and sound by me (@noxsucks,) art by @thisislux.

I’d upload the apk here but I don’t fancy the game showing up on pirate apk sites before I at least get some ads in it :zipper_mouth: If you’re interested in beta testing, follow us on Twitter or sign up for our newsletter (right side of homepage.)

We intend to release it on iOS exclusively, but will be entering it into the GDC competition as an Android game, as we’ve run in to what appears to be a a game breaking iOS engine bug. I’ll submit a bug report when I get a chance to make a repro project (everything gets quickly and progressively more jittery as world coordinates increase.) We also want to wait for NativeExtensions, so that we can leverage Game Center, our preferred ad networks, and UIActivityViewController.

16 Likes

Wow! Really really nice! Well done!

2 Likes

Holy cow, that looks nice – looking forward to playing it!

2 Likes

I love it I love it I love it!

@nox any chance for a HTML5 build on itch.io? Any chance to share some art with us so we can print it on GDC booth walls? (see here)

3 Likes

I experimented with an HTML5 build earlier this week, and it works really well except that there are occasional little lag spikes that hit at inopportune moments and that doesn’t work for a game like this where timing is so important (the car explodes if you don’t jump fast enough.) I’m not sure that it’s fixable as I experience similar spikes in the runner from the Getting Started tutorial.

I’d love to be on the booth walls :smiley: You can use any of the images above–just make sure to upscale them with nearest neighbor in integer increments. They’re already at 2x, as the native res is 240x160. If you’d like for me to scale them, or provide a different aspect ratio, just send me a DM or email nox@purplepwny.com.

6 Likes