Beginner Question: Sprite overlaying Sprite in different positions animation

So assuming I have a Sprite of a character or something else and want to put another Sprite (some light reflection/blinking/detail) on top of it which is cycling through different positions/rotations and is staying there for different amounts of time. (No ‘movement-animation’ just popping up in one position, staying there for 2 sec, hiding for 1 sec, appearing on a second position for 4 sec and looping those 3 steps)
Is it correct that making an actual new image for all of those possibilites and get an animation out of that would be really bad style and not that dynamic, especially if there are more steps?
So how do I do it instead? I cant find suitable commands in the go doc (http://www.defold.com/ref/go/). All of the animate-parameters are (obviously) for movement-animations like the movement of a Sprite between two points and if I take a look at the straightforward set_position I cant get the Sprite to LOOP between positions.
Regards, peter

I would make a Spine animation for things like that personally (Spine costs $70 for the basic version). Or use particles.

Depends on how it looks and how you want to produce them. Spine may be a good option. Another that might work too is to use two separate flip-book animations on top of each other, one for the sprite and one for the reflections.

1 Like